? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

How to become a Canadian Citizen?

I am only 16 years old but i want to be prepared on what i will need to do in order to become a Canadian Citizen.

I have been doing research on it and i understand some things..

If i get a temporary work permit will i be able to work and live there while applying for the actual citizenship?

And if it the temporary work permit expires will they make me go back to the USA?

Also, if i need more incite into how to get a work permit is there a place i can go to in Nashua, New Hampshire that can point me in the right direction?

Thank you

So what would be the smartest way and fastest way to be able to live in Canada after I graduate high school when i'm 18 years old? I plan on trying to get started before i even graduate when i turn to get the process moving quicker.

Best Answer

to get a work permit you MUST be skilled which means you MUST go to university (or college) and get a degree and then work for 1 to 4 years to get experience. Then you will be eligible to apply for a work permit or apply to immigrate.

Also if you get a degree/qualification that allows you to do one of the jobs in demand (see link) you can be fastracked to get PR status when you apply.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/app...

YES - but ONLY after you have worked at a full time job (37.5 hours per week or more) on a work permit for 24 full months. Its called the Canadian Experience category

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.a...

Only after you have worked for 24 full months, can you apply for PR status. You must continue working on the work permit while the PR application is being processed.

YES - so you need to make sure the WP is renewed every year as long as the employer still wants to hire you.

While you are on a work permit you are NOT eligible to call yourself a legal permanent resident. You are only a temporary worker.

To get citizenship, you must apply for PR status (which you can do after working on a WP for 24 full months) and when you get PR status, then you can live and work in Canada for 3 years before you will be eligible to apply for canadian citizenship.

ETA There is NO faster way - once you become a PR you must still wait 3 years to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Source(s): PR in Canada

if you have a work permit you have to apply for permanent residency first, and you can do so while you are in Canada. Then, after completing 3 years of permanent residence, you can apply for citizenship.

For further details, visit :www.gic.gc.ca

Source(s): www.gic.gc.ca