If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

This is what I think:

Yes, it still makes a sound because the vibrations are still present and sound is, in a way,simply these vibrations. In the dictionary sound is defined as mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium. If we use this definition, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it then yes it still makes a sound.

However if we consider the fact the these vibrations have not reached any human ear then the ear drum has not yet to convert these vibrations into sounds that the brain can transfer into a "Boom" or "Clang."

But if we thing about again, by no one what are we referring to? Humans only not being present? Or if we also add animals to the mix, then again yes, a sound is made. For example an ant. Ants hear through vibrations. Sounds send vibrations, which in turn go through the ground into the ants feet. In the technical terms, ants can hear. Therefore if a single ant were present then again the tree has made a sound.

So there is my logic ^^ any contributions?

Update:

It is all how we define Sound. If a tree falls, vibrations are created, but they only stay vibrations unless our brains and eardrums transfer them to sounds we can understand. So if no one is around, then these vibrations are not made sound. Again, I think it all depends on what extent we define Sound.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if a tree falls in the woods it does create a reaction regardless of whether or not a thinking mind is present to label the reaction. the question can also be asked as to whether the big bang made a sound. without a mind capable of intelligent thought being present, the reaction cannot be described or defined. animals may react, but cannot relay said information or define the reaction to others. it would simply frighten them.

the collusion would certainly create the vibrations necessary to make sound, but without an intelligent mind present to define the reaction, then no, it would not be defined as a sound

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

yes it does make a sound thats the logical physical scientific answer but this question was not made to be a riddle it was made so people couldnt justify lying, or cheating or stealing when no one is looking

its like saying s it still wrong to steal even if no one sees me do it.

yes it is wrong

the same goes for the tree, it still makes a sound (its still stealing)

weather people see and hear it or not. (its still wrong weather people see it or not)

becase really of course it makes a sound the human race tries to compliate what it cant see, thats why religion is hard for some people

but really you would have to be dumb to think that just because you wernt there to see it, it doesnt exist.

you could go into a vast part of the rainforest and see a tree that no one has ever seen before or even knew existed its just unother tree but it still grew and it grew without anyone knowing it grew

• 1 decade ago

You really have to think about it. Yes because when one substance is forced against another it does make a sound. But if no one is around to hear it, how can sound even exist?

Source(s): deep thoughts.
  • 1 decade ago

Of course it still makes a sound. Just like a ringing phone is making noise, even though the person being called is deaf.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

my mom always asks this question....if there are vibrations there will always be sound...it doesn't depend on our listening...it is relative...if you are not there then to you it hasn't made a sound but if someone else is present there she will certainly hear it,just because we can't hear it doesn't mean that there is no sound....ex:the galton's whistle...we can't hear it but the dogs surely can hear something...and it also depends on the frequency of the sound...and the loudness...the sound doesn't reach you until its loud enough...but if it is loud you will hear it,and therefore sound it always there

• 1 decade ago

It is logical that it makes a sound, because even if we can't hear it that doesn't mean it doesn't make a sound. like on the other side of the planet we can't hear people talking but no doubt they are

• 1 decade ago

I think the answer to that is would I care if I heard a tree fall in the woods or not?

Source(s): =)
  • Dee
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

yah it makes a sound but a pointless sound, because whats a sound if no one can hear it????

• 1 decade ago

sound is always there either ear is present or absent.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is the new 'chicken or the egg' isn't it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.