If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

This is what I think: Yes, it still makes a sound because the vibrations are still present and sound is, in a way,simply these vibrations. In the dictionary sound is defined as mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium. If we use this definition, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to... show more This is what I think:

Yes, it still makes a sound because the vibrations are still present and sound is, in a way,simply these vibrations. In the dictionary sound is defined as mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium. If we use this definition, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it then yes it still makes a sound.

However if we consider the fact the these vibrations have not reached any human ear then the ear drum has not yet to convert these vibrations into sounds that the brain can transfer into a "Boom" or "Clang."

But if we thing about again, by no one what are we referring to? Humans only not being present? Or if we also add animals to the mix, then again yes, a sound is made. For example an ant. Ants hear through vibrations. Sounds send vibrations, which in turn go through the ground into the ants feet. In the technical terms, ants can hear. Therefore if a single ant were present then again the tree has made a sound.

So there is my logic ^^ any contributions?
Update: It is all how we define Sound. If a tree falls, vibrations are created, but they only stay vibrations unless our brains and eardrums transfer them to sounds we can understand. So if no one is around, then these vibrations are not made sound. Again, I think it all depends on what extent we define Sound.