How long does it take to build muscle?

Im a girl, Im 16, im about 5'4, and i weigh about 130lbs (fat, i know) and i want to grow muscle, to decrease my overall body fat. I go to the gym about everyother day, and i lift weights there, pretty heavy ones too, as i was told that that was how to build proper muscle. Like, for my arms, i set the machine... show more Im a girl, Im 16, im about 5'4, and i weigh about 130lbs (fat, i know) and i want to grow muscle, to decrease my overall body fat. I go to the gym about everyother day, and i lift weights there, pretty heavy ones too, as i was told that that was how to build proper muscle. Like, for my arms, i set the machine weights at about 50lbs, for my legs 100 and my thighs 50lbs.

I was wondering, about how long will it take me to build proper muscle? I want my body to be real firm and stuff; no more flab. =)

And whats the fastest and most effective way to build muscle?

Thanks very much in advance =)
12 answers