How do I make a heating element?

Hello,

I want to make a heating element that's about the size and shape of a circular stamp, with an insulated back. The purpose of this is so that I can brand paper instead of just putting a stamp on it. This seems cooler, if slower to me.

I was just looking for some knowledge on how to shape the metal, if there's any kind of company that does this, and information on how to heat the stamp electrically (it's safer, it's easier and it means I'm not lighting a fire in a room full of important papers.)

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

You can probably find an old toaster and wrap/weave the element wire around your stamp and plug it to the wall. Your stamp should be of some sort of aluminum alloy, it will heat up quicker and is easy to machine. Copper may work was well..it's a good conductor of heat.

Other thing you can do is some how make the stamp as an attachment to your soldering iron.