Who named this planet Earth?

When was 'Earth' first used to name this planet and who named it? Also, why did they choose this name?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

That goes WAAAYY back in antiquity, even well before the bible was written.

"Earth", when used in a different context, also means "dirt, "soil", or "land" 9as opposed to "ocean" or "sea"). In this context, "earth" is used to refer to whole dirty, soiled, land-mass of a planet.

In Genesis, the Hebrew word "erets" is used to indicate "earth" right in Genesis 1:1! The same word, "erets", is used in the rest of the Old Testament to indicate land, dirt, soil, or the whole planet. We thus KNOW that the idea of using the same word for all meanings goes back at least 3500 years.

Just WHO started this idea is completely unknown. That record was never kept.

the name "earth" is an Anglicized word. It is not the same in all languages. Why "earth" was chosen is ALSO unknown, but there does seem to be some relationship between "Earth" and the Hebrew "erets", indicating a possible biblical connection.

• 4 years ago

Ok well I'm Gona claim this ownership as I seem to be the one who has solved this puzzle.

Earth is home to humans

Heart is core to humans

Without the earth we can not exist

Without the heart we can not exist

The word earth comes from the word heart.

Which one was created first who knows my guess is it was at the same time. the earth is us and our heart is the earth. Our two hands create this connecting bond. If anybody else wants to join in on my discussion please feel free too

• 1 decade ago

This planet was the only planet that wasn't named after a god of something. For instance, Mars is the Roman god of war. We don't know who.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

variations on the name have been used throughout recorded history.

the ground below our feet was called "earth" long before anybody knew its true nature. the name stuck. just like the sun and the moon, all were named long before anybody knew their true nature and understood that they were members of classes, not unique objects.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Who named England England?

Who named flowers flowers?

It's impossible to know

• i dont know who but i know why

you know earth is from the word eort that means

soil or land..

you know that earth has the only

definite soil or land...

Source(s): brain
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.