MMW
Lv 5
MMW asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Salvador Sanchez vs Pernell Whitaker @ lightweight?

who wins this one?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sanchez is one of my all-time favorite fighters. However, much as I hate to pick against him, I don't see him beating Whitaker. The one style Sanchez would have had trouble with is Whitaker's.

Sanchez could throw enough punches and, if the fight takes place in any one of a few certain places, the judges may award him a very close split decision.

However, in all fairness, Whitaker would be too difficult to hit cleanly with more than one punch at a time. The one loss Pernell has at lightweight was a robbery against Jose Luiz Ramirez. It's possible for Sanchez to win a close decision but the likely outcome would be

Whitaker by unanimous decision.

• Sean G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The key to this is "at lightweight". Pernell only lost once at lightweight. His speed and defensive excellence would beat Sanchez. Sanchez was a true featherweight and Pernell would have a size advantage too...I see a unanimous decision for Whitaker.

• 1 decade ago

Pernell Whitaker by points

dancing and avoiding the onslaughts of Sanchez

• 1 decade ago

Oh yeah, now this is tough. If Sanchez can keep up the pressure he will get to Whitaker in the later rounds simply because he has the power to hurt him. But if "Sweet Pea" gets his timing down and in rhythm he wins on points. If it's a 15 round fight Sanchez wins but if it's a 12 rounder Whitaker wins.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

assuming the scoring is on the level, whitaker takes a ud by maybe a 3 or 4 round margin.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sanchez would never make 135. He had trouble getting up to featherweight. He should have been fighting bantam.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.