Places to work (preferably tutor) as a college student in Boston?

I'm going to college in Boston in the fall.

I really need a job and I'd like to get something that pays relatively well but obviously as a student I'm going to need a job I can only do maybe a couple days a week. I thought tutoring middle school or high school students would be a perfect job except that when I searched.. all of the agencies only seem to hire college graduates. I though about private tutoring--a friend of mine tutors some of her family friends' children in subjects as well as preparing them for college but I'm unsure of how to go about that since I'll know no one in Boston next year so it doesn't really seem like a viable option.

Does anyone know agencies or companies around Boston that hire college students? I'll be a freshman, by the way.

I have good grades and had a good SAT score if they consider that in hiring.

Also, I'm open to other suggestions--if anyone knows other jobs that'd be good.

Thank you!!!!

Favorite Answer

I've been working as a tutor for over 10 years and always tried to market myself independently. Recently, I started using Wyzant which is an online tutor data base that students can search for tutors. They heavily market and I've gotten great business from them. I tutor mainly math and had over 14 clients this past semester. You can set your own rates and they take care of all of the money which is great. They take a commission and as you increase the ours you have tutored, your take home pay goes up. They offer many subjects which they test you on to make sure you are qualified. I know they offer ESL. Students search for you based on your zipcode and you can also limit how far you want to travel. You can create your own profile and picture as well which I've found really helpful. Make sure you highlight your accomplishments but also especially any experience you have. When a student comes to the site, they can search tutors or post a "tutor wanted" ad. If a wanted ad comes up in your subject, it will get forwarded to your e-mail. Using them has let me go from tutoring part time to tutoring as a full time job and I highly recommend it. I wasn't sure at first if it would be worth it, since they take a commission, but in the end the money is a whole lot better than working at a tutoring place. Often tutoring companies charge $50-$100/hour but you only make $10/hr! Wyzant suggest sthat new tutors set their starting rate at $40/hour, but I set mine a little lower at $35/hour and I think that really helped pull in business. See the link in the sources for more info. I really hopes this helps! good luck!

I know teachers with lots of experience in the classroom and a college degree who get less than that when working for tutoring companies. So, yeah, I'd say that's too much for a student to ask. The tutoring companies that pay the *most* around here will pay certified teachers (with college degrees, of course) $20 an hour. So, again, it seems too much. Especially for a third grader, since it wouldn't seem to require a great deal of advanced skills to teach a third grader (unless there's some sort of disability or something here). I know teachers who do tutoring on their own (not with a company), who charge between $35 and $50 an hour. But usually they are tutoring more advanced students in more advanced subjects.... All that said, I'd say: If you aren't willing to work for less because you think your time is worth that much, you can simply explain to the family that your time is worth $20 an hour and leave it up to them to decide whether they can afford it or not. There are other tutors out there that they can hire if the price is too steep for them...