Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

is this leukemia????????

im 13(female) and my spleen has been swollen and iam having bad joint pain and they say malaise is a symptom of leukemia i have that.my pain is in my knees finger wrists constantly.please help i have sorta been tired.

im not stupid know what a swollen spleen is because everyone should know......wow not all people are complete retards!

Favorite Answer

There is a chance that your symptoms are related to leukemia but it is NOT a very common diagnosis. Based on your age I see you are young and the constant tiredness is not uncommon for teenagers. Sore joints may be due to some growth and your enlarged spleen may be due to a bacterial or viral infection, or even anemia - which could also account for tiredness. Whatever the cause of your enlarged spleen is, it is extremely important for you to see a doctor before you diagnose yourself or before you become sicker if it is more serious. Enlarged spleens are easier to bruise or lacerate which, clearly, could be very, very bad.

Based on your age, if you did have leukemia it would most likely be acute - ALL is the most common form of acute leukemia. It is possible for young people to have chronic leukemias but even more rare than a leukemia diagnosis at all. ALL is an acute leukemia, which is considered a medical emergency. Patients diagnosed with either of the acute leukemias (ALL & AML) need to begin treatment very soon after diagnosis - usually within the first 48 hours - in order to have a chance of a better outcome. It's not possible to type the leukemia without a CBC blood count. So, even if you think you have leukemia, it is extremely important to see a doctor right away.

I have met many children with ALL over the last 2 1/2 years but I know more about AML - the two are closely related. My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone. His next round begins tomorrow morning.

During chemotherapy, Eli usually has a horrible time with nausea and vomiting. He has tried several anti-nausea drugs to help him such as Ativan, Zofran, Kytril, or even Benedryl. The Zofran seems to work best for him although Ativan does take away the nausea - it just sedates him to the point he barely speaks for 24hrs after the dose.

He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available. Chemotherapy is necessary in all acute leukemias but a bone marrow transplant (BMT) is not always necessary. A BMT is still technically considered an experimental procedure but can be recommended for patients especially if remission was not achieved in the first induction round, if he or she has had a previous cancer, or if the patient is at high risk of relapse. A BMT is coupled with very high doses of chemotherapy to kill off the vast majority of the patient's "bad" bone marrow so that the donor marrow has a chance to graft and take over once transplanted.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli
  • fulk

Thank you for spreading the phrase out for every person to understand approximately this. Hope that Connor will likely be doing higher. Stared this in order that others can comply with this less complicated. Glad that he made it to ST. Jude. Hope for the nice for him and once more, thanks for letting us recognise. This perhaps said as chatting, however needed to appear at different solutions. The shortest prayer is God. From that you'll upload or something to it and all you'll ask Him( that is assuming in the event you think, however that is as much as you) to help Connor out. Saw that a person did not know the way to hope, however it is quite as much as you. Doesn't subject on what phrases you're pondering. You simply conveniently have got to consider definitely at the subject. Simple as that. God Bless and Good Luck!

• april

Have you even been to the dr? How do you know your spleen is swollen? Your symptoms sound more like mono than leukemia.

I take it you haven't been to a dr then?