Diablo 2 Expansion Installation Error?

I tried to install Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 Expansion onto my Dell Dimension E521 and the first one installed but doesnt work when i try to start the game up my screen just turns black and when i minimize it has a little error message but my main consern is that when i try to install the expansion it downloads and... show more I tried to install Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 Expansion onto my Dell Dimension E521 and the first one installed but doesnt work when i try to start the game up my screen just turns black and when i minimize it has a little error message but my main consern is that when i try to install the expansion it downloads and after its done it tells me to insert play disc and then it just stops and if i click ok after i put the disc in it just clicks down and doesnt respond or go away unless i press cancel.
Please Help
Update: The computer is great i can play games like Far Cry 2 and Crysis on decent graphic levels so it definately meets requirements
Update 2: and its a Windows XP
Update 3: 8 gigs of ram
8800 vid card
high speed internet