If Islam truly is the "truth," why would it need to protect itself by declaring it lawful to kill apostates...?

...and make war on people of different religions? Death penalty for apostasy: Quran 2:217, 4:89-91, 9:11-12; Sahih Bukhari & Volume 9, Book 83, Number 17 & Volume 9, Book 84, Number 57 & Volume 9, Book 84, Number 58 And as a practical matter, if an apostate is no longer a Muslim, they are either a polytheist,... show more ...and make war on people of different religions?

Death penalty for apostasy: Quran 2:217, 4:89-91, 9:11-12; Sahih Bukhari & Volume 9, Book 83, Number 17 & Volume 9, Book 84, Number 57 & Volume 9, Book 84, Number 58

And as a practical matter, if an apostate is no longer a Muslim, they are either a polytheist, person of the Book, or an atheist.

Lawful to make aggressive warfare on pagans and people of the Book: Quran 9:5, 9:29-30; Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24 & Volume 3, Book 39, Number 531; Sahih Muslim, Book 019, Number 4366; Malik's Muwatta, Book 45, Number 45.5.17

If the truth always prevails, should it really be necessary to take such drastic measures to defend itself?
Update: @ FTL...Do you really think I am that stupid? I know when sura 3 was revealed....like 24 surahs BEFORE sura 9. Nice try.
Update 2: @ Solid Edge...If you knew an ounce about Christianity, you would know that Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law and came to bring salvation to the people. He was not a statesman, and Christianity was not about setting up legislation or governmental rule. So your Deuteronomy quote is pointless. Not only is it not... show more @ Solid Edge...If you knew an ounce about Christianity, you would know that Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law and came to bring salvation to the people. He was not a statesman, and Christianity was not about setting up legislation or governmental rule. So your Deuteronomy quote is pointless. Not only is it not applied in Judaism today (because Judaism is not a static religion like Islam), but that rule was only to be applied to apostates who stayed in Israel and attempted to convert others to paganism.

Tell me, why aren't Jews and Christians murdering apostates, but Muslims around the world still do so?
Update 3: @ Hola....well, there goes the claim that the Quran is timeless. Doh!
11 answers 11