Did Russell in Pixar's movie "Up" have Downs Syndrome?

Also, what was his back story? It was unclear what was going on with his parents.

Favorite Answer

Russell, who is Asian or maybe Asian-American because his character is voiced by an Asian-American (Jordan Nagai), is depressed that his father is always too busy to spend time with him and it is heavily suggested that his father is with another woman.

P.S.--I just asked my daughter who saw the movie tonight if Russell's parents were divorced and she said that it wasn't said.

When Russell described how his dad never spent time with him and was too busy with work, I thought that maybe his dad would be the boss of the construction who kicked Mr. Fredrickson out of his house, but it never made that connection so I assumed it wasn't that.

My mom thought that since his dad used to spend so much time with Russell and suddenly stopped, she thought that maybe his dad had died and his mom just wasn't able to break the news to him.

Either way those are just guesses and an over analysis of the situation. It doesn't give much information of his family so just be creative!

Source(s): saw the movie.

Russell is Chinese, he doesn't have Downs Syndrome. And his parents are divorced.