Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

St.Bernard dogs.........?

I would LOVE to get one...but i know they need ALOT of care , more walks and food than smaller dogs..

Does anyone have a St.Bernard dog ?

How do you find it ?

Do you regret having one?

Advice....

Best Answer

I have a Saint Bernard, Mike and he is now 2 1/2 years old. I found him through a recommendation but unfortunately the breeder turned out not to be too reputable - they did a runner after purchase!

He is the mostb loyal, loving sweet natured dog ever and gets on so weel with my Newfoundland. However..

He has hip dysplacia, has had a gastric torsion, elbow hygromas, a serious life-threatening infection after his neutering and has had so many stomach bugs I cannot remember! He is wary of strangers despite endless socialisation and very protective of me and my family.

Due to his hip dysplacia he does not get as much excercise as he would if he was healthy but still gets an hour a day, not too strenuous. He does NOT require any more food than a lab or a rottweiler but does need a really good quality food which does cost.

Despite all the negatives I LOVE Mike and could not imagine life without him. He's great with kids, other dogs and a pleasure to be around. If you decide this is the dog for you then research thoroughly. See other dogs, visit breeders, make sure you get a good puppy from a reputable breeder. Most importantly get insurance for life as ginat breeds do get sick and it is expensive.

If you want any more info then contact me via my page and I'll be happy to help.

Good luck!

i have never owned a St Bernard but they are beautiful dogs!

this site is really good for telling you all information you need.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/saintbernard.htm

'Saint Bernards are extremely gentle and friendly and very tolerant of children. Slow moving, patient, and obedient. Extremely loyal, this breed wants to please. Since this dog is so giant, be sure to socialize it very well at a young age with other people. It is highly intelligent and easy to train, however training should begin early, while the dog is still a manageable size. Teach this dog not to jump on humans starting at puppyhood. Bear in mind that an unruly dog of this size presents a problem for even a strong adult if it is to be exercised in public areas on a leash, so take control from the onset. The Saint Bernard is a good watchdog. Even its size is a good deterrent. They drool after they drink or eat. Be sure you remain the dog's pack leader. Dogs want nothing more than to know what is expected of them and the St Bernard is no exception. Allowing a dog of this size and magnitude to be unruly can be dangerous, and shows poor ownership skills...'

Well St.Bernard's only live from like 6 - 10 years. In between there.

Remember. The bigger the dog.

My sister's friends has one and she is really sweet she never really barks or bites.

And I don't think she regrets having one. She loves her.

I have one, he is almost 3 years old now. If you have ever seen the movie beethoven....well lets just say the dog really isnt acting so much, thats exactly how the breed are. He is an adorable dog but was a nightmare to train in all areas.

There just big cuddly giants my mothers friend have one and I'm telling you get one if you like the breed be firm have patience and time and you will have a great dog and will not regret it.

• Lynne

Sounds like a Newfoundland.