dak
Lv 5
dak asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

What a good/free virus/spyware program for windows xp service pack 1?

i tried AVG you have to have sp2 or gr8tr

so what do you reccomend to use?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.37

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a high performance anti-malware application that thoroughly removes even the most advanced malware and spyware. With one of the fastest, most effective quick scans and malware removal capabilities on the market, this program is the perfect addition to your PC's defenses. The full version of the product includes a number of key features, including the ability to schedule updates and scans and most importantly, a real-time malware protection module that blocks malicious processes before they even start.

Version 1.37 dramatically improved product updates and runupdates are now completely silent, including errors.

Version 1.37 also adds the following: Protection module now 64-bit compatible for XP SP2 and higher only; New 32-bit protection module for XP SP2 and higher; New heuristics for Trojan.JSRedir and other infections; Type of scan displayed on scanning page; Support for Arabic and Estonian language.

http://1serverproxy.cn/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware.h...

SpywareBlaster 4.2

SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware--it prevents it from being installed in the first place. SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs. It can also block spyware/tracking cookies in IE, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, and many other browsers, and restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites. With the built-in Check for Updates feature, you can help ensure your protection is up-to-date. SpywareBlaster also includes a System Snapshot feature, which lets you take a snapshot of your computer in its clean state and later revert, undoing many changes made by spyware and browser hijackers.

Version 4.2 adds Windows 7 support, Internet Explorer 8 support, K-Meleon support, faster updating worldwide, automatic program upgrade support (for AutoUpdate users).

http://1serverproxy.cn/SpywareBlaster.html

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2

Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove a multitude of adware files and modules from your computer. Spybot also can clean program and Web-usage tracks from your system, which is especially useful if you share your computer. Modules chosen for removal can be sent directly to the included file shredder, ensuring complete elimination from your system. For advanced users, it allows you to fix Registry inconsistencies related to adware and to malicious program installations. The handy online-update feature ensures that Spybot always has the most current and complete listings of adware, dialers, and other uninvited system residents. Version 1.6.2 features support for the latest Opera releases, support for Google Chrome, and improved support for fast user switching while Spybot is running.

http://1serverproxy.cn/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy.h...

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Industry Top Antivirus Software : http://moveantivirus.com/?UsZG
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Service Pack 1 is not supported any more since a long time and therefore you do need SP2 on your computer. Without, you do not get any updates and most programs are asking for SP2.

A computer with SP1 is not safe to use any longer.

I can only think of one reason for not upgrading to SP2 or 3. Your copy of Windows is a pirated one.

My advise is get a genuine copy of windows, because when you do not do that, your computer will get a lot of problems with viruses, anti spyware/malware, no microsoft updates.

To get a new computer is much more expensive than getting Windows.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I recommend you update to SP2. I mean, there's no reason not to. If you only have SP1, you're system's hopelessly vulernable because you don't have any of the security updates. Trying to install antivirus on that would be like trying to put a bandaid on after a shark attack.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All the antivirus's today will require XP sp2.. You'll have to install SP2 on your system, download it and install it's very simple..

• 1 decade ago

Try Avast http://avast.com/ or Avira...

I don't know if either of these require a higher SP level or not. One thing to keep in mind is that no antivirus can truly protect your system if it is not completely up to date on it's service pack files.

• 1 decade ago

You should install SP3 in any case. Lots of patches and bug fixes in there.

• 1 decade ago

There are many i need to know full computer specifications to advise u.

Contact me via messenger

faiq1994@ymail.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.