What are some must see places in Washington DC?

My boyfriend and I are taking a 4-5 day trip to Washington DC this summer. I wanted to know of some places that people would suggest definitely seeing. I am trying to stick with places that are easily accesible by foot, bus or subway. (places near the White House, Smithsonian Museums, etc). But, from what I have heard, everything you would want to see in DC is fairly close to one another, and I wouldnt have to drive to these places. Thanks!

Best Answer

It really depends on what you're interested in. The monuments are an obvious choice for most people and are all within walking distance of each other. The Washington Monument requires tickets which are free and distributed the same day starting at 8 am. You can also get them online for a small fee.

The Smithsonian museums have a huge range of exhibits there's natural history, American history, American Indian, African and Asian art, modern and contemporary art, American arts and crafts, buildings and architecture, and air & space. There's plenty to keep you busy depending on what your interests are.

There's also the Kennedy Center (tours and shows), the Capitol visitor's center, the botanical gardens, White House visitor's center, the National Archives (get there early!).

Paid museums include the Spy Museum, the Museum of Crime and Punishment, and the Newseum.

Eastern Market is a cute little arts market on Sunday mornings and a great place to get a soft shell crab sandwich.

Stop by the U Street neighborhood for food at Ben's Chili Bowl and drinks at The Gibson.

These are all accessible by metro and most are within walking distance of each other.

Source(s): wmata.com

You can easily get around the city and see everything using the Metro subway system. It's an inexpensive and quick way to get to all of the attractions. I stayed in Alexandria, VA, when I was there and got a shuttle from my hotel to the Metro station. Another way you could see all the sights is from a sightseeing tour company, like Gray Line. I took at tour with them and it was very informative.

Places worth seeing in Washington D.C. are the observation deck of The Washington Memorial, The Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, FBI Museum. Also, take a tour of the city at night. It's beautiful with everything lit up.

Source(s): Visited Washington D.C.

there's the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, Capital Building, White House, Smithsonian Museums like the American History or Natural History, Holocaust Museum, and the Newseum.

if you want to go outside the city (like not walking distance) go to the Pentagon 911 Memorial, Air Force Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Iwo Jima Memorial, and Mount Vernon.

have fun!!

Source(s): i have gone to D.C before

An answer I haven't seen yet is the Holocaust Museum. I'd been to DC a few times before I went to see it. It is not to be missed. It will take about half a day or more to see. You will not be disappointed.

Smithsonian, Capital Hall, Tour at the Potomac river, Space center and dining at Gorge town restaurant

The URL has the top 35 places. You will not be able to do them all, but you can choose what is important for you and your boyfriend.

This is my help from Washington, D.C. United States of America.

Please pick an answer as the best answer, even if it is not mine.