Are you a practicing Buddhist?

Hi everyone! I am doing a research paper and one thing that I need to do is ask a practicing Buddhist some questions to get a different perspective. I have a contact at a temple here, but it doesn't hurt to get more information. Please answer any or all questions, anything helps. Thanks!

*What influences pointed you towards Buddhism?

*Have you always been Buddhist? If no, what faith did you practice prior to becoming Buddhist, and what do you think about it now? What was the hardest part of letting that previous faith go?

*What do you like least about Buddhism?

*What do you like most about the Buddhism?

*What is the most difficult obstacle that you have faced in your search for liberation/enlightenment?

*What are your personal views on women practicing this religion as equals to men?

*What are the major holidays or observances of Buddhism?

*How has Buddhism affected your life?

*What would you say is your level of expertise on the subject of Buddhism, and at what level are you at in terms of spiritual enlightenment?

*What is your method of meditation?

*Have you been on any spiritual retreats or been able to travel and spread teachings? Where and how was it?

*Are there any temptations that are especially hard for you to refrain from?

*In my opinion, one of the most difficult obstacles that the Western culture faces on their path towards enlightenment is cutting out their materialistic indulgences. Do you experience this difficulty? If so, how do you overcome it? Do you ever indulge? Can these occasional indulgences and the faith co-exist?

*If the entire world became solely Buddhist, how do you think that it would function? Do you think that opposing faiths can be good for a society?

*Some religions violently defend their beliefs and discriminate against those who don’t share the same values. Is this true of Buddhism? If not, how are differing religions treated?

*Are there any stereotypes regarding Buddhism that you would like to correct?

*What is your view on those who believe in the “Old Testament” and take the stories literally?

*How do you mix your religion with western culture and maintain harmony amongst religion and society?

*Have you ever been discriminated against for your beliefs? If yes, how did you handle it?

Favorite Answer

The fact that organized religion has discriminated me and made me feel like I am wrong, when I am only being myself, the fact that organized religion is the lead cause of hate and violence, and the fact that, despite the numerous clauses and laws, organized religion still has too much power. Yet, I don't want to believe in nothing... seems so morbid.

No. I used to be non-practicing Christian and then Agnostic. I considered myself spiritual Atheist yet I believed in the whole karma thing which ended up with me labeling myself Buddhist.

*What do you like least about Buddhism?

I don't really practice it, so I don't have any grudge against it.

Optimism.

Organized religion vs. me

Why the hell not?

Not a clue.

*How has Buddhism affected your life?

Given me something to shoot for and remain optimistic over.

On a scale of 1-10, a 4.

*What is your method of meditation?

Reciting Nam Yoho Range Kyo while squeezing a stress reliever of some type.

I don't spread teachings. That's called fervor.

Yeah, don't we all have some?

IDC. Let bastards be bastards and then they'll all die.

SO much better. There would be no war, there would be no hate, and everyone could be themselves.

Yeah, just look at the first two answers.

It's directly related to martial arts. Martial arts is accepting to any religious belief. My kung fu teacher is Orthodox Christian.

Just as bad as the new testament.

I keep the peace.

Yeah. I always seem to take things to heart, so I think I growled like a rabid chihuahua.

Source(s): Happy to educate you ^^ *nuzzles*

Hi magickal...

Influences include, love, liberty, kindness and compassion.

Generosity, respect for all life, wisdom and the teachings

are very straight forward. Also karma and rebirth makes

good sense to me.

I was a wasp, but now im a bee. The hardest part was thinking

I was giving up god. Now i just see god as something bigger.

There is truly nothing I dislike about buddhism.

The thing I like best is the freedom to think, feel, believe and do anything. Only now I see the consequences of my actions.

The most difficult obstacle for me is a lack of honesty

with myself.

My view on women is the same as any other human being.

We all have the Buddha nature, and we are all capable of

loving kindness.

Major holiday is the full moon of May. And every full moon.

I think different traditions have different holidays. (am not sure)

Its like night and day. Once you know the universal law of karma,

and start to practice this law everything changes.

My level of expertise is similar to that of an antz.

Meditation for me is very difficult, I have a monkey mind.

India, Sri Lanka, Thailand. I try to teach by example.

Yes there are one or two.

As for materialistic indulgences... I am as poor as a church mouse.

Its hard to indulge without money. Although I can see this as a good

thing.

I think opposing faiths are very good for society. Just not the

bigotry and intollerance or hateful people. Ive no idea how the world would be if it was solely Buddhist.

Buddhism is not about violence its about compassion and wisdom.

Stereotypes, smereotypes!

We are human beings, its our birthright to believe in anything

and everything without interferance from busybodies. buz buz.

Buddhism has never had difficulty with-in different cultures.

love is love. Any time, any place, any where.

Only on these boards, lol. When bad stuff happens to me I

take a deep breath and smile.

Is that it? no more questions!

I am a practicing Buddhist, and I would love to answer your questions. Please e-mail me. Your questions are far too involved for me to answer in this forum with the depth or clarity that they deserve. I look forward to hearing from you.

EDIT--Heaven Bound: if you're not a Buddhist, then why did you waste your time and the poster's to do nothing more than say that you're a Christian? Your behavior makes no sense at all. Fireball: same question.

If you have nothing to contribute to the asker's question, then don't respond. Your comments aren't doing anything but muddying the water.

I am agnostic but i practice buddhist beliefs. And for everyone else who is getting ready to answer, "i don't believe in false religions" you really ought to educate yourself. buddhism is NOT a religion it is a way of life. Buddha NEVER claimed to be a god. He was just a man who reached enlightenment. you can be christian and buddhist at the same time! it's not a sin because you aren't worshiping another god. i follow it's beliefs because of it's modesty.

• Minnow

Wimpy: by answering that you love life And stating the reasons (like trips to the beach, pool parties, and Tommy Hilfger t-shirts) then saying ur not materialistic is contradictory.....a non materialistic person would state their favorite things in life as something intangible like learning, love, and respect....

how christian of you!

Nope. I'm a non-denominational Christian and loving every moment of it (like trips to the beach, pool parties, and Tommy Hilfger t-shirts). And I'm not materialistic either because it's against my religion, but those things are what I like to enjoy.

To answer your posted question... NO. I am a Born Again Christian.

no... i dont practice false religions.