Am I stupid or patriotic for joining the military?

I have chosen to join the Armed Services at the age of 34. I have a college degree and also maxed out the ASVAB and scored a 99 on the qualification test. I enlisted anyway instead of trying to be an officer. I signed up for a combat position. I choose 11 bravo - Infantry. I am in good physical shape and I can... show more I have chosen to join the Armed Services at the age of 34. I have a college degree and also maxed out the ASVAB and scored a 99 on the qualification test. I enlisted anyway instead of trying to be an officer. I signed up for a combat position. I choose 11 bravo - Infantry. I am in good physical shape and I can easily max the Army's PT test... but that's not why I signed up for a grunt position. I wanted to serve my country and be proud of what I did. I believe that the infantryman in today's military is a thinking man. So, for lack of a better phrase, I wanted to "be all that I can be".

I have a brother that's 24and a PFC in the Army. He's in Iraq right now and he works Intelligence. I've always wanted to be in the military and I'm self-disciplined, so I love the structure and the discipline. For me, there is no greater job than to be an infantryman. To me, its the most honorable job in the world... and I've worked all kind of lousy jobs. I can't wait to be serving with my brothers out there and my real brother. I love everything about the military... the only reason I didn't go sooner is that I'm the eldest child and always tried to please my parents, and the military was something they've always discouraged me from joining. After learning of my brothers enlistment which he did behind their backs, I decided that now is my chance to be somebody. This is something I've always wanted to do... I stayed in shape my entire life for just this reason. I hope I do well... thanks for listening.
Update: I own my own company and my other brother who works for me will be taking that over. I'm not doing this for loss of a job or for money. I make 5 times what I will make in the Army. I was told that I can still be an officer if I wanted to... I would just have to take an alternate route than OCS or ROTC. I... show more I own my own company and my other brother who works for me will be taking that over. I'm not doing this for loss of a job or for money. I make 5 times what I will make in the Army. I was told that I can still be an officer if I wanted to... I would just have to take an alternate route than OCS or ROTC. I was told you the age dates for commission don't really mean anything and they've commissioned officers in their 40's, and in some cases commissioned officers without degrees.
Update 2: Sovereign,

I am not joining to fight for politics. I am joining to help my brothers already there, and my real brother. That is why i join. Politics will go right out the window when bullets are zipping my your head. I join because of the people already there.