Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

What does "PreNote" mean on my paycheck stub?

Last week I changed my payment method from a paper check to direct deposit. I set up my check to be deposited into my wife's account since I do not have an account of my own.

However when my wife looked at her acount this morning (payday), she didn't see my check in her account.

So I went online and viewed my check and it has been issued to me, but I noticed at the bottom it had an area for direct deposit and the amount shown read "PreNote".

does any one have aby idea what this means, and why my check has not been deposited into my wife's account?

Favorite Answer

A prenote (preauthorization) is a zero dollar transaction created and sent through the ACH network to test the validity of a payor's/payee's bank account information that was provided at the time of enrollment or if subsequently changed.

The prenote transaction checks the validity of the bank transit-routing number and the payor's/payee's bank account number

if your money is not there yet maybe you should contact your payroll officer

They must give you a W-2. If they are caught being stupid enough to hold the W-2 intentionally for any reason other than not knowing your address, they will be subject to a penalty from the IRS. If you do not receive the W-2, then the IRS requires you to "ask" for it and then wait a "reasonable" amount of time. If you still do not have, then you may call the IRS after 2/15 and the IRS will send you a "substitute" form that you may use to file. You must not file until you receive either the substitute form from the IRS or the W-2 from the employer.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

So...

Source(s): quot prenote quot paycheck stub: https://biturl.im/7eIUJ

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awGx8

Short and simple, YES, you can if you have the EIN from last year and you have your final paycheck stub. Legally, you are suppose to wait for your W2, but you can efile from your final paycheck stub if you have all the information. And NO, they cannot withhold your W2 for being fired, it's against the law.

• pelt

Prenote Account Verification