What is your 5 favorite instrumental jazz songs?

I like jazz, but I hardly know enough about it; I'm looking to expand my library.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • zynjen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

***** check these out:

You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To- Salena Jones

What A Difference A Day Makes- Dinah Washington

I Love You- David Benoit

Living Inside Your Love- Earl Klugh and George Benson

Mack The Knife- Bobby Darin

***** enjoy !!!!

• 1 decade ago

Mr Magic - Grover Washington Jr. (Jazzy and funky kind of laid back legendary Sax Player)

Street Walker - Jan Akkerman (Jazz Rock Fusion from Dutch Guitarist quite rare hard but funky)

The Dance Of Life - Narada Michael Walden (Most know him as a pop producer but as a Drummer this dude is the TRUTH. Dance Of Life starts out mellow then takes you to heights with an edgy guitar and high powered drum solo)

Quite Afternoon - Stanley Clarke (Bass Player extraordaire in mellow groove but technical enough not to bore you)

Maputo - Bob James & David Sanborn (A smooth jazz favorite by two legends)

Source(s): Life is my source... I was fortunate enough to have a great 'Jazz Station' WJZZ 105.9 growing up in Detroit, it was switched to Hip hop R&B in 1996 (MAN! How I miss that station).
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Emperor - Love the dark atmosphere and epic buildups they created within their music.. each of their four albums is vastly different while keeping the quality and integrity at a very high level. Their front man Ihsahn has continued this trend with his solo work. My favorite song would probably be "I am the Black Wizards" followed closely by "Decrystallizing Reason". Opeth - Really the band that expanded my music listening horizons, they were the band that let me get past the initial "can't stand harsh vocals" phase. They have crafted a handful of masterpiece albums most notably "Blackwater Park" which is the closest thing I've ever heard to a perfect metal album. My favorite Opeth song is "Black Rose Immortal" off their second best album "Morningrise". Dream Theater - I love musical virtuosity so I pretty much have to love Dream Theater. They are a very flawed band since they are sort of bad/literal/corny lyrics wise but that doesn't matter too much since nobody listens to DT for the lyrics, the worst part of the band is they always seem to put a few songs on their albums that do not belong for commercial purposes or whatever reason, very possibly just bad taste. It's really made their past few albums weak. Even with all the negatives, no progressive or metal band I've ever listened to comes close to creating as amazing instrumental sections as DT. Favorite songs are "Octavarium", "Metropolis", "Home", and "Lines in the Sand Genesis - Easily the band that fell the furthest from grace with the eighties, it's a tragedy such a talented band could lose its inspiration and end up resorting to making generic pop music. "Suppers Ready" is easily my favorite Genesis song. Pink Floyd - Nothing really to say about Pink Floyd that hasn't been said a million times before. favorite song is easily "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". top 5 favorite singers Mike Patton Devin Townsend Garm Ihsahn Mikael Akerfeldt

• 1 decade ago

Stolen Moments – Oliver Nelson

Mademoiselle Mabry (Miss Mabry) – Miles Davis

Crystal Silence – Chick Corea

Central Park West – John Coltrane

My Song – Keith Jarrrett

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

St. Thomas, Stolen Moments, Gazpacho, Birdland, Tank!

Source(s): Jazz band class.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My personal favorites are

Tank (theme to Cowboy Bebop)

Brass Machine

A Night in Tunisia (Absolute Fave)

Malaguena

Coconut Champagne

• 1 decade ago

"RainForrest" by Paul Hardcastle

"Lost Summer" by Paul Hardcastle

"April in Paris" by Count Basie

"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck

"Take The A Train" by Duke Ellington

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Marc Antoine........Latin Quarter

Marc Antoine....... Sunland

Chris Botti............Indian Summer

Russ Freeman & the Rippingtons.............Intimate Strangers

Russ Freeman......What She Really Wants

• 1 decade ago

charles mingus- haitian fight song

fred anderson- children of cambodia

herbie hancock- chameleon

frank zappa- the gumbo variations

ornette coleman- free jazz

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Autumn leaves.

My funny valentine.

You don't know what love is.

Blue in green.

Dear old Stockholm.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.