Growing plants in a yard of clay?

This year I have put a new vegetable garden in a spot of our yard that has never been planted before, just mulched. The soil is essentially clay rocks! The other parts of our yard we mixed with compost and topsoil, sand and other organic compost years ago so they are fine, but this part hasn't been touched. So... show more This year I have put a new vegetable garden in a spot of our yard that has never been planted before, just mulched. The soil is essentially clay rocks! The other parts of our yard we mixed with compost and topsoil, sand and other organic compost years ago so they are fine, but this part hasn't been touched. So far I have, chives, two onion plants, two potato plants, one tomato plant, one tomato seedling and one bell pepper seedling. The chives we actually did put in about five years ago, but we never touched the soil, and they are fine(but we barely use them). The potatoes have been in the ground for about a month and a half or two months, and the plants are HUGE and beautiful, but I'm worried about how the clay may affect the taste of the potatoes as I've heard that potatoes need very nice soil.

Do you think they will be ok?

Oh, and just to say, I didn't buy any of these plants as adults, they were all from seeds and the potatoes from potatoes sprouting in pantry, so they've been growing out there since er... birth.
Update: I've been fertilizing wit a commercial vegetable fertilizer.