What happens if I fail Marine boot camp????

I am starting to get into shape to join the Marines at 18 (1 1/2 years away) and am currently VERY overweight. I am a 6 foot 2 inches tall part Samoan part White male that weighs 350 pounds (I know that if I get into the Marines I will always need the tape test to check my BMI ratings.). I am 44% body fat. I REALLY want to be a Marine in the Military Intelligence MOS of 0231 (Intelligence Specialist) or Infantry MOS of 0311 (Rifleman). What happens if I fail at Boot Camp my first time around and then I get recycled and pass? Do I still get to go to my Intelligence or Infantry MOS training? Also would I still graduate as a PFC (E2) if that is the rank I got in my contract (for college credits) before going to Boot Camp?

Favorite Answer

The answer to your question is real simple - failure is not an option!

Marines do not fail.

Your mental attitude is a large part of what gets you through boot camp. Do not even consider failing, get that thought out of your mind right now.

You will lose weight and you will graduate from boot camp. 18 months is plenty time but you need to get serious and take action now.

Learn all you can about boot camp, so you're mentally prepared, and commit to a fat loss/exercise routine to get you physically prepared.

The guys that don't pass the IST (Initial Strength Test) go to PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon) until they're considered up to standard.

PCP is not a fun place but don't worry about it - you are not going to fail.

Worry about losing the weight and getting in before you worry about dropping out. You'd have to lose about 125 pounds before they would take you (estimating...not sure what BMI the marines use as a cut-off).

I'm pretty sure when you get recycled through boot-camp you start over from scratch.

Source(s): The positive side is you can use this extra time to work on your war face. Marines unwaveringly require a good war face. Examples: http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/gallery/war_face... http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/danspats/...
  • Holly

its pretty hard to fail anything in boot camp unless your retarded. Im not saying things are easy but you are pushed to learn everything needed and to exceed standards and everything is drilled into your head over and over again. When it comes to failing something you are given another chance 99% of the time. The only time you can fail something and not be given another chance is if you are a safety violator on the range or something. If you still cant meet the standards after being given another chance you get dropped back a little bit in training to another platoon. All it really means is you will be in boot camp a little longer. They dont just send people home in boot camp unless they pop on their drug test or they find something out you were trying to hide (results come in about halfway into training when you are at the range). In my platoon 12 people were dropped and we were told our platoon had the most drops in the company. 2 of the 12 were sent home because one kid ran away and one kid popped on a drug test. Get in the right mindset and stay motivated and you will never fail. All you have to have is combat mindset; be Aggressive, Confident, and Relaxed.

• -

For your height and body fat percentage, it looks like you'd need to lose over 120 pounds. If you are able to lose this weight in 18 months, it means you have been eating healthy and doing tons of cardio. This should easily prepare you for the Corps.

Good luck

First you need to worry about losing about 136 lbs. or you need to get down to 20% bodyfat and get a 1st class PFT to pass the tape test.

Get that done then worry about picking ip PFC out of boot camp

If your not performing they will just keep recycling you until you pass or quit.. if your there long enough you could have your tech school rescheduled.. If your active duty they can switch jobs on you, to fit the marine needs..

you would remain an e2

maybe you should start with fat camp, and work your way up from there.