frank_albers123 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Declawing cat or training?

I have heard that declawing a cat can mess them up mentally and physically...I am thinking about getting a kitten...it would be an inside cat only...the reason I am thinking about getting it declawed is because we have a lot of leather furniture in our house and I don't want the cant destroying $15000 worth of furniture. Is there another way besides declawing...or is declawing my best option?

Best Answer

Declawing cats is like cutting a persons fingers off at at the first knuckle past the fingernail. It is an unnecessary surgery that is almost exclusively performed in the US. Fortunately there is a product that is a great alternative to declawing, called "Soft Paws". They are little vinyl caps you glue over the cats nails to prevent him from causing damage when he scratches. They are available at many pet stores and even come in a bunch of different colors, if that is your thing.

One thing many people fail to realize is that cats NEED to scratch. It is an instinctive behavior that is part of being a cat, and cannot be un-learned. You can't train a cat to stop scratching. Providing a cat with several different things to scratch on will greatly reduce the chance of him scratching up your furniture or carpet. Some cats like to scratch vertically, while others like to scratch horizontally. For this reason, I always have available for my cats not only a scratching post, but also one of those cardboard scratch pads that sits on the floor. They like to use both. Cats who are not given their own things to scratch on will find something to do it on anyway, usually something that will make the owner very angry.

Good luck, I hope this helps =^.^=

Source(s): http://www.softpaws.com/ http://www.declawing.com/ owning cats most my life

First of all - although thorough, Graham's answer is NOT legitimate. If you notice the dates on ALL of his "sources" (of which are not given) come from 2001 or earlier. We have learned SO MUCH about declawing in the past few years and its silly to think that something 8 years old (or in some cases almost 20 years old *if I am remembering the dates correctly*) could still be accurate.

Declawing is painful - very painful. I will say I did it to my indoor babies before I truly understood what it was. My cats did not suffer from lifetime adverse affects...however, their life is not over yet. My mom also got her cats declawed, and they are now almost 20 years old. They both have HORRIBLE arthritis, something is that more common in declawed cats than non declawed cats. The poor babies can barely walk they hurt so much. It's awful to watch.

Declawing actually amputates up to the first "knuckle," so although if you took a knife and cut each toe off at the first knuckle, you'd still be able to walk (after some time), do you think it would be fun? It does cause the animals pain, it does cause some trauma and it isn't a very pleasant thing to do to a cat.

I will say that if you have tried every other possible solution, then yes, declawing is an option...but its the LAST option. Try soft-paws first. They are little caps that go over the cats nail. Theres some discomfort at first while the cat tries to walk with them on, but after an hour or so (at most) the cat should be fine. You can get those at any petstore, and most petstore employees will be happy to show you how to put them on the cat.

Talk to a vet also (a phone call doesn't cost money) and see if they can suggest anything to decrease clawing behavior.

Buy a couple scratching posts - put catnip all over them and teach the cat to only scratch those.

There are lots of things you can do to cut down on scratching - just try them before resorting to declawing.

Good luck!!

I own two declawed cats for the first time in my life, and I adopted declawed cats because we have furniture that is leather. I would never declaw a cat because you actually cut out part of its toe bone which I think is cruel.

My cats stay inside, because I don't want them to get beat up by a neighborhood cat because of their disability. It kinda stinks because I like to see a cat enjoying the sun on the front porch just as much as the next person.

If you decide that you really should have a cat that is declawed, just adopt one that is already declawed. No, it won't be a kitten but there are plenty of adorable cats who are still young that need to be adopted! Plus they are almost always fixed already, up to date on their shots and many shelters have micro chips that you get free with the pet when you buy it. It is actually cheaper to adopt a cat from a shelter than get one free or for ten bucks and then have to give it all its shots and stuff. :-)

Source(s): Owner of two declawed kitties who are almost perfectly normal.

Your best bet, if you really are an animal lover, instead of wanting to alter an animal to suit your leather couches, is to think this through, and think if a cat is really the best pet for your situation.

The risks are very high, with a multitude of physical problems, resultiing in incredible vet bills, not to mention mental issues, which lead to behavioural issues, like litterbox avoidance and aggression issues.

Why choose couches over the happiness of an animal who is meant to have claws?

Cats walk on their toes, which is the part they remove - that affects everything from where they can reach to groom, to how they walk, everything. The fact that it is an inside cat doesn't make it need those claws any less.

You need to think which you prefer - leather couches, or a cat.

There are many ways around declawing, where with time, a kitten is taught in all the other countries to scratch a scratching post, not anything else.

DO NOT DECLAW! It is very painful for any cat. The process of declawing is literally taking off the first digit of each toe. That's like taking off each of your fingers up to the first knuckle. Plus, if they were ever to get loose out of the house, they have absolutely no protection from predators. Most cats also tend to start biting more when they figure out that there are no claws. There are these soft plastic caps called "Soft Paws" that are easily applied and prevent the scratching of furniture. Also make sure you can provide a variety of scratching posts....carpet/sisal/cardboard. My cat prefers cardboard.

Do NOT declaw!

Declawing is cruel and unnecessary, not to mention selfish.

If your home or furniture isn't suitable for a cat, don't have a cat!

I'm not having a go, but pets arn't a god given right, any choices must be made with their best intrests in mind, not yours.

Okay, many people say that declawing is wrong.

Although, All of my cats were declawed, and it saved our furniture, and many scratches at bathtime.

BUT!

Do not ever let a declawed cat outside! They dont have what they need to defend themselves out there if they dont have claws. We kept them indoor kitties, and they were happy.

Its painful for a bit, but not horribly. Our cats were walking and seemed fine 1-2 days after the surgery.

1

Source(s): Cat Is Peeing Everywhere http://CatPeeNoMore.enle.info/?Aii8

get a scratching post or declaw. if you get a scratching post then you train him/her to use that instead of using your furniture for a scratching post

soft paws

they are amazing. they are like fake nails for cats. you put them over the cats nail and they cant destroy you furniture

http://www.softpaws.com/about.html

did i mention they look adoriable