Can I get a tattoo while breastfeeding?

My son is 6 months old and I am interested in getting a tattoo.Obviously I would go to a clean shop but I want to know if the ink would get into the milk and affect my baby at all?

Favorite Answer

The largest risk that you will face is infection. Local or systemic. These infections are generally caused by the wearer's failure to completely follow aftercare directions. Keeping the area clean, free of pet hair or dander, not picking the scabs, not scratching the area, and even keeping it out of sunlight. For these reasons most tattoo artists won't tattoo a pregnant or nursing mother. Her body has undergone such a major change and is still healing up to one year later from pregnancy and birth. With this being the case, her body needs as little trauma to her immune system as possible in order to help her heal. A tattoo takes away precious immunities to heal, and with there already being such a demand for these immunities, it can leave her open to infection.

You can.. I got my first tattoo in January and I was still breastfeeding. It doesn't affect your milk at all.

Source(s): Still breastfeeding a healthy 8-month old!
  • Pippin

The ink will not get into the milk.

Some say its fine, some say its not. Who knows? If it were me tho, I would just wait until I was finished with the breastfeeding, then get my tattoo.

- jeωeℓℓчssα's мαмα *;

yes, it is safe. you walk into a tattoo shop and there are signs saying we do not tarttoo pregnant ladies, there are no signs saying we do not tattoo breastfeeding mothers. the artist doesnt even ask if you are. its completely safe

Source(s): my partner is a tattoo artist

Most tattooists will not tattoo a woman who says they are breast feeding, just out of caution.

Wait until you are done and then get your ink!