Lane splitting - Sportsbike vs Naked bikes?

I'v had three different naked bikes with a Triumph Speed Triple benig the latest. I used it mainly to commute 50 miles a day lane splitting LA traffic. I'm thinking about the 2009 R1 for the job.Can I still easily split lanes once I get used to the new R1 ?

Favorite Answer

Yes, as long as you put Two Brothers pipes on that 2009 Yamaha R1. God those sound hellacious!

I will actually answer your question, unlike the previous ones before me, who probably don't realize that lane splitting is indeed permissible and is actually intended to relieve the congestion of traffic... but then again, they're probably sitting angrily in their cars, who don't even own a motorcycle, and are just upset that we're splitting lanes, instead of realizing that it's pointless for a vehicle that can get out of traffic and not add to it, to sit there. [/rant]

Anyways, yes, you can split just fine with your bike. Technically, you could split with a cruiser; you just need to relearn how wide your bike is. Just because a motorcycle is naked or not, doesn't mean that it's going to split any better. That's more like the placebo effect, where you are able to do something, because you believe something is helping you do it better. Just get a feel for the width of your R1 and you'll do fine.

I've done the ride, down the W10 to S605 to W105 and back so many times I can do it with my eyes closed. I ride a 96 CBR900 RR which is pretty wide compared to new bikes. It all comes down to how comfortable you are on the bike, I've seen guys do it (not very well) on Harley's with highway bars.

The only thing I would suggest is the R1 has a pretty high power band which makes it difficult to do lane splitting as you will find yourself constantly revving the engine to stay in the power band. Anyone who has done lane splitting knows you have to stay in the power band.

I say keep the naked for lane splitting, get the R1 for teh twisties

good riding

Sure you can. Both bikes will be about the same width (the widest thing on both is the handle bars), and the R1 handles like a knife.

Naked bikes

I don't see why not. I've gotta tell you though, I think you're downgrading your cool factor by getting rid of the triumph...

also, don't listen to these other guys about being an idiot, its perfectly legal in CA to lane-split. I wouldn't choose to, but you're well within the law.

any bike should have little issue lane splitting..

good luck sir

I say move to a place where you don't have to do that. Sounds sucky.

I lanesplit with a 61 harley f.l.h. so you can with no problems!

it shouldn't be an issue I do it on my Sportster all the time