whats cheaper building a machine or buying one?

is $500 a good deal for this computer build:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 64 bit Dual-Core Processor (3600MHz L3 Cache 2MB )

4GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) High Performance

AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Gaming Crossfire Motherboard

WD160GB 3.5in SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Black Samsung 22X DVD±R DVD/CD Burner

HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

Cooling solutions:4x120mm Case Fan/1x140mm Case Fan

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Computer Case

Antec True Power Trio TP3 ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply

would is be cheaper to buy a refurbished machine or barebones machine and upgrade/add on or is it cheaper to build your own machine? i need a computer that can play hd files and movies on my computer. whats your opinion? thnx.

Favorite Answer

buying one could be cheaper, but only because the parts could be inferior.

4GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) High Performance $45

AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Gaming Crossfire Motherboard $90

WD160GB 3.5in SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (get 1tb for about $75)

Black Samsung 22X DVD±R DVD/CD Burner (Sata burner, $25)

HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card (not a bad card)

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Computer Case (great case)

Upgrade the processor to a quad core, the phenom 9600 is only about $100 and deffinitely an upgrade from the processor that you have

if you are playin HD content, make sure you use

Media player classic (v. 6.4.9)

Coreavc for video decoding

AC3 Codec for audio

Alternative

Videolan

Hi, everything is top notch, but I would suggest that you get an AM3 motherboard and get the Phenom II X3 720. Which has 8MB Cache total, and 2.8Ghz clock speed. The X3's are triple cores, and are awesome :) The only reason I say this, is you will make it 100% future proof!

Don't forget, even though you will have a AM3 CPU, you can still use it on your AM2 motherboard, so if the AM3 motherboard is to much for now, get a cheap used AM2 motherboard of ebay, and wait intill you have alittle extra cash.

The only reason I'm suggesting AM3, is you can also use it for gaming for future gaming, but for media use only, the AM2 set up you have is by far more then enough.

The graphics card is perfect for watching HD films, ignore the person above that said it wasn't. Hell, it can even play todays games. (well, maybe not on high, but it can still support them.)

Alright well building computers is first of all a massive pain if you've never done it before. Secondly, all the parts are of different brands and you MUST make sure they are all compatible. Most of those products will have a 6-12 month warranty. If you flat out bought a desktop you would have a better warranty and you could simply upgrade things you need inside of it.

My preference is just buy a pre-assembled one.

My Website If You Have Any Questions (Check Forums):

http://www.machelp3r.com

Feel Free To Post And Get Quick Answers Or You Can Email Me At Mitch@MacHelp3r.com

That build should be ~$500, but you would probably want to ugrade the graphics card again to really enjoy hd movies. I'd say you will pay the same amount either way.

It depends on your machine, quite frankly. What specs do you want? Play around with Newegg.com and TigerDirect.com and build your dream computer. Then, compare it to retail. For me, because I wanted a top of the line graphics card, it was cheaper to go custom. For my parents, because they didn't care about their specs, it was cheaper to go retail.