Is a Christian wife permitted a divorce under these circumstances?

We all know the Bible's teachings on divorce...that except for adultery, it is not permissible. Well what about in these circumstances? And is this presumably Christian (for the sake of this question, let's call her Christian) wife permitted to remarry in the eyes of God? Or would God continue to tie this wife to this monster?

A North Carolina man apparently hired a man off of Craigslist to rape his wife (without either her knowledge or consent), and at knife point the man apparently did so. The so-called husband actually watched and there were two small children nearby.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_us/us...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25...

Favorite Answer

Um, yes.

This falls under mental and psychological abuse, as well as deceipt. The husband not only abused his wife and allowed another man to do so, but could also be said to have deceived her into believing he shared her values and beliefs to get her to marry him.

I would say yes, this qualifies for a divorce for the legal side and an annullment for the faith side, because I wouldn't even callt his a valid marriage. And it would be my hope that the wife got custody of the kids, because this man is NOT a fit father if he's going to not only do that to his wife but also do it with two small children nearby.

Well I know there are a lot of people who would say no.But,I think that because this man paid for sexual services that God would look at that as him committing adultery of the worse kind.I don't know where it is in the bible but it says somewhere that if a man even looks upon a woman with lust in his heart then he has already committed adultery.If that does not fit this situation in someway.Then I'm sorry I would find it hard to believe there is a God.There was a picture of my husband kissing a woman I was told by my pastor that was not adultery.But I believe it is.(So does my husband)We're still together because of what that pastor said but I don't attend Church any longer.My husband also paid to have lap dances. Paying for sexual services I believe that the verse I spoke of would cover both of these situations.But if not mine then at least hers.That is the worse thing a person could do to another person.If God wanted her to work it out with him then I don't want to serve a God like that.This is the most appalling thing I have ever heard his children were there they could have woken up and seen what was happening to their mother.He deserves life in prison so he can spend the rest of his life having done to him what he paid someone to do to his wife.People are so horrible now.This world sucks I am so sorry I brought two more people into this world.That poor lady when she found out her husband paid someone to do that to her she must have felt like she was being raped all over again.I'm in tears as I right this.I hope people can see that women should not be told they can't get a divorce if there husband's do things such as this.It's just awful.The God I believe in would not want this woman to suffer anymore humiliation.That's all I know.

• Erin

A friend of mine who is Catholic got divorced from her husband. I don't know all the details, but it wasn't the best marriage in the world. She was the choir director at the Church as well. But under the circumstances, she wasn't sure if she should continue because her faith looks down on divorce. So she spoke to her priest about it. He asked her if she felt it was necessary to get divorced in order to be a better Christian. She said yes. His response was that he was comfortable with her continuing on as choir director, and if she heard any complaints to direct those people to him. Her second marriage was blessed in the eyes of the Catholic Church several years later.

Yes. I'm not sure what you mean by "permitted". Christianity is not about following some set of meaningless rules, but about a relationship with Jesus Christ. God is loving above all else, no He wouldn't want her to stay married to such a man, endangering herself and her children.

Marriage is a covenant between the couple and God. If one abuses the other that is a breaking of the covenant and releases the abused person from the covenant. This is similar to the covenant God made with the Jewish people. God said "if" they keep the covenant. They broke the covenant time and time again, so God make the covenant obsolete and made a new covenant (New Testament) [Exodus 19:5 & Hebrews 8:13]

• Rob M

you're also allowed a divorce if you're married to an unbeliever and he/she leaves you.

in this case I'd say he has definately proven he's an unbeliever and that he does not want to be married to her.

It could also be argued that by his actions (which will almost definately lead to a lengthy jail time) he has abandoned her.

Under Biblical law he would have been executed for this crime, and she would be allowed to remarry

• Rick

She is not a moral person if she does not divorce him and she would be free to remarry. People that forbid marriage teach the doctrine of demons.

I do not think anyone needs permission to divorce under such evil circumstances. This is a criminal case. Hope he gets sent to prison before she divorces him.

Hiring a man to rape your wife is worse than cheating on her, it is a betrayal as well.

• jesus teaches forgiveness

i think that if the woman did divorce the husband (which she legally can) that she would be forgiven. I'm gay and I had sex when I was 16... and I know that I will be forgiven for it. I know that I am justified,