Whats Wrong with my transmission?

I have a 89 chevy 1500 silverado with a 350 engine. Ill be in drive and ill be going just fine until it needs togo into 3d gear then it slips. everybody has ben telling me different things and im wondering if there is a mechanic out there right now that can help out. ive heard it could be a vaccum line, the linkage, and idk, please help me

Favorite Answer

things i learned about trannys in 40 yrs

1 got enough clean fluid?

2 there are a few things that can affect shifting...vacuum leaks.but newer trannys shift by computer...so is battery good and connections clean? it truck tuned? a misfire can fool confuse computer and fool tranny..

3 guys who know most about trannys are tranny guys...

4 get new /rebuilt torque converter durnig rebuild...

5 shop around...about 1400 to 2000 dollars [non dealer]

I'm assuming you've checked the gearbox oil? So many auto problems are due to dirty oil, or lack of oil. If you have, it could be that the gear linkage assembly is not adjusted properly. I'd take it to a garage and get them to check the linkage adjustment. If all is ok there, the third and most expensive option is that the overdrive unit is about to give up, which involves opening the gearbox casing and renewing the unit. I hope it's one of the first two things. Good luck

Vacuum line and linkage are both possibilities. It could also just be dirty transmission fluid. I had this same problem and changing the transmission fluid made it go away.

Otherwise, I would have it looked at.

It's broke!