Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Statistics on teen suicides?

I need some statistics, even some information...anything will help really but mainly stats for a newspaper article I am writing.

It would best if you could link what you know, if possible.

Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Since 1997 the highest rates have been in men aged 15-44, peaking in 1998 and then steadily decreasing. ...

Suicide rates in women aged 15-44 have consistently been the lowest across the 1991-2007 period and fell to 4.2 per 100,000 population in 2007" - the UK

"It is the sixth leading cause of death for kids between the ages of five and 14, and the third leading cause of death for 15-to-24-year-olds."

Young people (15-24yrs) in the U.S in 2001 accounted for 12.3% of deaths .... the next highest group was males at 2.1%. 10% more.

It's also worth looking into how many deaths are undefined because people are reluctant to say they are suicide or aren't sure. This leads to other questions like, have suicide rates actually increased in the last 100 years or are they just reported more? Also do suicide rates appear more or less in certain people, communities, religions etc.?

1. E.g. Do Catholics appear to have lower suicide rates because suicides are being hidden because it does not allow for a catholic burial?

2. E.g. Are people actually less likely to report suicides by young people than older people?

etc.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Suicides among young people continue to be a serious problem. Each year in the U.S., thousands of teenagers commit suicide. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15-to-24-year-olds, and the sixth leading cause of death for 5-to-14-year-olds

• jessup
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

its on the brink of me too. dont ask human beings online for his or her stats that don't have something stated. try to be analyzing pubmed articles or psych books. if its that on the brink of you come across greater credible factors than this web site.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.