I add my prayer to yours daddy's girl. You and I are both prayer warriors doing spiritual battle for this young lady. Hello, it is very rare for a twenty year old to be diagnosed with breast cancer. however it is not the death sentence it once was. Better drugs, better treatments and more types of treatment - including hormone therapy. Some chemo can even be done at home as pills.
With regard to your request. I believe you will find this helpful.
Health Insurance and Financial Assistance for the Cancer Patient
As a cancer patient, you may have financial resourcesavailable to you, including health insurance, government programs, disability benefits, aid from voluntary organizations, and living benefits from life insurance policies, including viaticals (viaticals are explained later on in this document). If you have no medical insurance, there are other options.
This article covers the following topics:
private health insurance
government-funded insurance plans
options if you are uninsured
list of states with health insurance risk pools
Private health insurance
Health insurance coverage helps with the medical costs that come with the diagnosis and treatment of an illness. It is important to have and keep good medical coverage. This can help you avoid financial hardship. Many patients have private insurance through employee group plans or individual plans. It is important to have accurate information and a good understanding of your financial situation and insurance coverage. It is very important to pay your monthly insurance premiums.
Types of health insurance plans
There are many types of health insurance plans. Here are very brief descriptions of the different plans:
If you have this type of health insurance, you can choose any doctor, change doctors any time, and go to any hospital anywhere in the United States. You pay a monthly fee, called a premium. Every year, you also have to pay a certain amount of money (known as the deductible) before your insurance will start to pay your medical expenses. After you have met your deductible, your insurance will pay a set percentage of the bill. You may have to fill out forms and send them to your insurer to get reimbursed (paid back) for medical costs you have already paid. Sometimes the doctor's office will do this for you, and then send you a bill for whatever your insurance didn't cover. You also need to keep receipts for drugs and other medical costs. You are responsible for keeping track of your own medical expenses.
Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO)
The HMO will usually cover most expenses after a minimal co-payment. HMOs may limit your choice of providers to those within their approved provider network.
Point-of-Service Plans (POS)
A point of-service plan is a type of HMO. The primary care doctors in a POS plan usually make referrals to other doctors in the plan.
If your doctor refers you to a doctor out of the network, the plan will still pay all or most of the bill. But if you choose a doctor outside the network and the service is covered by the plan, you will have to pay co-insurance. Co-insurance is the amount you must pay in addition to what the insurance company will pay. It is usually a certain percent of the cost, for example the insurance company may pay 80% of the bill and you have to pay the other 20%.
Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
The preferred provider organization is a combination of traditional fee-for-service and an HMO. Like an HMO, there are only a certain number of doctors and hospitals you can use. When you use those doctors (sometimes called "preferred" providers, other times called "network" providers), most of your medical bills are covered. When you don’t use these providers, the PPO makes you pay more of the bill out of your own pocket.
Other things to know about health insurance
Catastrophic illness clauses
There are many expenses associated with the management of most cancers. Some insurance plans provide for additional coverage under a "catastrophic illness" clause. These are policies that cover major medical care needs. The policies usually have a very high deductible and fairly low premiums. They are useful when a person's primary medical policy has a lifetime limit and are appealing to people with chronic illnesses. Check to see if your plan contains such coverage.
Pre-existing condition exclusions
If you are a cancer patient and join a new health insurance plan, you may face a "pre-existing condition exclusion period." A pre-existing condition is a health problem that you had before you joined your medical plan. With a pre-existing condition exclusion period, your plan will make you wait before they pay the costs of the pre-existing medical problem. The wait may be as long as a year for insurance you get through an employer.
There are certain employer-based insurance situations i