What is the average person's reading speed? How many words per minute?

I'm curious as to what the average person's speed is when reading words. Or, how many words a minute does the average person read?

I'm wondering because I read through "New Moon" today, and it took me a little less than 4 hours from beginning to end. Is that slow or fast?

The book was okay. It could have been better. Kind of dragged on in certain parts.

How long does it take you to finish a book of similar length?

Also, please cite external sources if possible.

Favorite Answer

"The average American adult reads prose text at 250 to 300 words per minute, and with use of Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP), the speeds can quickly exceed 400 wpm and reach 800 wpm after an hour of practice "

"While proofreading materials, people are able to read at 200 wpm on paper, and 180 wpm on a monitor"

"Comprehension speeds have been assessed at 400 wpm for full comprehension, and research has shown that speed reading at 600 wpm can achieve about 70% comprehension, and 50% comprehension at 1000 wpm"

Side note: Test how fast you read- http://mindbluff.com/askread.htm :)

Average Reading Speed

The average adult reading speed for English prose text in the United

States seems to be around 250 to 300 words per minute.

It is 250 words per minute for average Americans. I've learned speed reading a few months ago, so I can read at around 500 or 550 wpm. I finished New Moon in less than 2 hours, as far as I remember...

• Octavian5 years agoReport

Pauline, should we believe you or not? New Moon has 563 pages - around 225.000 words. Reading around 500 words per minute as you affirm, it would take you around 8 hours to read that book. Another aspect: how much did you really grasp from that book reading at that speed?

I read about 225 words in a minute.

KRUG READS 14 WORDS A MINUTE

(BEST IN VILLAGE)

Source(s): i feel i read slightly more slow than some, because i want to "take in" every word... i.e. understand it completely.

This question has many answers so I will make my answer short.

I'd say there is no average speed because there is no average person. We are like snowflakes, all different and unique; hence, there is no average speed. Second, when a person likes a book more than another, they read faster to see what happens in the end. Hope this sense!

(I wish I didn't sound so...scientific)