Literary tattoos?!? What would you get?

I was looking at a web-site that shows images of tattoos people have gotten inspired by their favourite novel/play/poem. My favourite was a girl who had "It's history, it's poetry" (from the Catcher in The Rye) on her back in a type-writer font, I've never seen anything like that and I thought it she looked wonderful. If you were to get a literary tattoo, what line or quote from your favourite book/play/poem would you have?

This is a hypothetical question, just for fun - I'm not interested in knowing if you think tatts are ugly or wrong, just give me a good quote!

I'm not looking to get a tattoo myself, but I've read poems where a line has affected me and stayed with me for 20 years, so I understand why someone else would feel like they wanted to carry that line around with them on their body. But like I said, this question is just for fun :-)

Best Answer

My best friend, Joe has a replica of the original Gustav Dorre illustrations from Dante's The Divine Comedy on the entirety of his back. Unbelievably cool

• I have always loved the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost. It's kind of an eloquent way of saying "$h!t happens" and a reminder of how quickly things can change. That would probably be it. That, or "Never Give Up". A speech by The Dalai Lama.

I do have a tattoo that is similar to a literary one. I have a red oval on my left chest that says "Made In Heaven". It looks like a rubber stamp and is a song by Queen and Freddie Mercury and also the last album Freddie was a part of. It has very special meaning for me.

I'd probably get a quote from The Perks Of Being A Wallflower... But then the problem is choosing one.

It'd be either:

1. 'So this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be'.

2. 'We accept the love we think we deserve'

3. 'Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody'

The "Choose Life" passage from Trainspotting?

"The artist is the creator of beautiful things" or "All art is quite useless" by Oscar Wilde from The Picture of Dorian Gray.

In fact, any quote by Oscar Wilde or Shakespeare would be really cool. You've actually changed my opinion of tattoos - nice question!

Love suffereth long, and is kind. Love envieth not, love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up. Does not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil. Rejoiceth not in inquity, but rejoiceth in the truth. Beareth all things, believeth all things. Hopeth all things, endureth all things. Love never fails. Let all your things be done in love.

1 Corinthians 13.

Really long, so I'd probably pick a single line. I would pick something else, but usually it's a paragraph, and I would NEVER tattoo a paragraph onto myself, no matter how beautiful or profound it was.

Luthien

Literary tattoo?? Interesting question.

I have always been a fan of the classic "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville.

If I were to get a literary tat, I would probably get one to resemble the great whale from that book.

• Hibee

Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth

Inspired hath in every holt and heeth

The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne

Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,

And smale foweles maken melodye,

(That slepen al the nyght with open eye)

So priketh hem Nature in hir corages

Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages

• Paul R

First Do No Harm from the Hippocratic oath.

It's life Jim but not as we know it. Mr Spock

It's worse than that he's dead Jim. Bones

She can ne take much more Captain. 1st Engineer Scottie

Take only pictures & leave only footprints.

Source(s): Just for funzees, I'd never get inked!

This may be a tad long, but I digress. It's my favorite quote in existence.

"There are many tongues to talk, and but few heads to think"

One of the chapter titles of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

• Karen

Thats an awesome idea. It's smart to get something meaningful to you that's seriously a great idea.