Who are the FDA stakeholders?

I recently read an article about the FDA that mentioned the agency's stakeholders. Who are they? How did they come to be stakeholders and what does that mean?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It is difficult to say without having read the article, because it is out of context. Of course the FDA, is the Food and Drug Administration and is controlled and run by government officials and employees of the governement.

Many times when someone refers to key stakeholders, they would be referring to the main shareholders within the company, those persons who hold the majority of the stock, beacause they have the most money to loose. In the case of the FDA, technically all people living in this country are shareholders, since our taxes fund it.

I would wager a guess, that they were referring to any corporation(s) that is trying to get new drugs passed, or taken off of the market, or what have you, as the agency's stakeholders. Let us say for example, they mean, that the FDA is probably on the verge of making a decision, like whether to approve a new drug to move onto final stages of clinical trials, or to pass a new drug through the last stage of clinicals and ok it for market sell. This would make whichever pharmaceutical company who holds the rights and patent on that new drug formulation the key stakeholders....in this case, because it is a huge deal for them as to whether they will get the approval or the denial. An approval would mean a sucessful project (many of these drug development prjects take years and lots of funding) and mean a big payoff to them, or a rejection would mean that the particular company will have to take a large loss, or go back to the drawing board.

Maybe that will help, if not, give some more info on the article and maybe I, or someone else can help you further.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.