Chris
Lv 4
Chris asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

why cant you put fish into water from the tap immediately?

i forgot what my mom told me but i had a goldfish nd put him into some water from the tap right when i got home and died like 30 mins later. she told me you have to let the water sit then you can put it into the bowl. why do you have to let the water sit? what is in the water?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hi,

    Normal tap water come with traces of chlorine and chloramines, which is used to rid of drinking water of anything harmful and nasty to us and the problem with this is that both of these additives are deadly to the fish!

    By letting the water stand, it gives these 2 chemicals a chance to evaporate from the water so the fish can live in the water peacefully. You can also buy a good chemical by API called stress coat which will remove the chlorine, chloramine, and also ammonia, and it will help your fish adjust to the new water and cause them less stress with the water being changed.

    Also, remember when introducing fish into your aquarium/tank/or bowl, that you need to let the fish sit in it's bag for a good 20 minutes before adding it in. What I do, which I have found to very reliable; is to let my fish sit in the tank for 20 minutes, then I add half a cup to a cup of my tank water into it's bag, close it up and let it sit for another 15-20 minutes and then repeat adding in the water, closing the bag and letting it sit again. Letting the fish sit in it's bag in the tank lets it adjust to the temperature of your tank and the water in your tank.

    Then I use my fish net to get the fish out of it's bag and put it in the tank. Make sure to never add the water from the bag into your own tank as the pet shop you got it from would have very different water to the water in your tank, and their water could affect your water parameters (the hardness or softness of the water, the ph level, the amount of ammonia in the water etc), and this is likely to stress out your fish and it could lead to deaths.

    If you've done everything that I have mentioned above and you have a new tank, it's most likely called the new tank syndrome where your fish just die of no apparent reason, and you can't help that! Good luck.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Tap water is filled with Chlorine and tons of other chemicals that are toxic to fish. You need to either let it sit out for at least 24 hours so that the chemicals can evaporate, or buy some water conditioner from the pet store and add that to the water, so you can add the fish immediately.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    It's not actually a matter of letting it sit, however that will help a little. You need water conditioner. It takes all the chlorine and other harmful chemicals out of the tap water. We don't notice it because it's not enough to hurt humans, but imagine your fish breathing in chlorine. Not good.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Shock is what kills your fish. Shock from going from one body of water that is room temperature to one that is likely colder.

    Just let the new water sit for 30 minutes to an hour or check the temperature to make sure it is the same, if you have room in the tank place the new water in a plastic bag and put it in your tank. Eventually they will be the same temperature and you can replace the existing water with the one in the bag.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    there stuff in the tap water to keep us human in shape but harmful to fish

    letting it sit dose help and adding a air stone but best if u can buy some stuff for the water like stresscoat

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    The cholrine content and other stuff thats in the tap water will kill them. Its poisonus to them so you have to treat thewater. Also after you do that you should float the bag the fish is in, in the water your putting it in so that the temp change isnt a shock and kill them.

    Source(s): PetSmart Manager
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    the chemicals in the water will kill fish. please don't use a bowl, get an aquarium for it. also, get water conditioners to treat the water with.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.