Are all PS3's HDCP complaint?

I'm trying to connect a PS3 and a computer to my monitor. I bought a HDMI switch from Terk, but for some reason I can't get the PS3 to display when going through the switch. The computer displays fine. And the PS3 works via a cable connected directly to the monitor.

I called Terk's customer service, the guy is telling me that my PS3 might not be HDCP compliant or that there is a setting in the PS3 to fix this.

So now I'm wondering if it's a problem with my PS3 or it's just a issue with the switch.

Any help is appreciated.

The cable I used to connect PS3 to monitor that works is HDMI.

Best Answer

HDCP (High Def Copy protection) is part of the HDMI standard. So anything that has a HDMI connection (and is marked with the official HDMI logo and is marked 1.3) must pass on the HDCP signal.

HDCP is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across various cables and connections, even if such copying would be permitted by fair use laws. Each device handshakes with the other and then passes an encryption key to say that it is ok to display or play the signal. It does this for every frame, typically 30 times per second. If you are having problems with blank audio or video it is more than likely that one of your devices does not support HDCP.

There will be no settings in you PS3 that can change this. There is no doubt that the problem will be with the switch or perhaps one of the cables. First check all your cables by swapping them around on the direct connections to make sure that they all work. Then get back onto the Terk's customer service.

If you want to know more about the HDMI interface and HDMI cables you can download the free 21 page ebook "HDMI Demystified" at the following link.

http://www.hdmisystems.com/

Source(s): Your Industry Insider Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/HdmiCables
  • gay

Ps3 Hdcp