The FDA does not regulate Vitamin Supplements.........?

Who should be held responsible if the FDA does not regulate the supplement industry?

Favorite Answer

Technically, the FDA doesn't approve or deny any supplements aside from general vitamins and minerals (those that have an RDA), they aren't "approved". If it was "FDA denied" (eg. contaminated product, bottles not containing the right product, etc), it's removed from the market and/or the company making it gets shuts down.

It's already happened a number of times... one of the biggest cases I can think of is when they banned Tryptophan for around a decade because of a contaminated batch that some people died from. It was banned that long because of misinformation that came up about it and partially from media coverage that spread that got some people thinking that it was the supplement, not the company.

With all that being said, there actually are watchgroups and organizations that do regulate supplements and regularly report to the FDA for any major adverse reactions (and the supplement companies that sell them are supposed to report these as well). The GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and USP (U.S. Pharmacopoeia) are the main quality assurance organizations (USP is for the U.S., GMP is for the U.S. and worldwide).

Also, as the others have said, there is a measure of personal responsibility, but it's not exactly the way they are saying. The best thing you can do when buying a supplement from a company is to call the company and ask them to prove their quality. No, not just ask if they have good quality, but ask them to prove it. Their products should be tested/reviewed by independent 3nd party companies to verify their quality and they should be able to prove it rather easily. If they can't prove it, I wouldn't use their products... it's your responsibility to know what you're buying and to make sure the company you're getting it from is good.

Good luck and I hope I helped!

Source(s): Personal research in my role as a Product Specialist for a vitamin company

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): fda regulate vitamin supplements: https://shortly.im/p9yz1

While the FDA does not regulate vitamin companies, that is about to change. Soon they will all have to have FDA approval. However they can still make crap. Anabolic Laboratories has been FDA approved for years, they actually test the absorbtion of each batch and verify that it is indeed what they are bottling. They are one of the best vitamin companies in the US and they are distributed only through health care providers.

Actually I have learned that the only time the FDA gets involved is with pharmaceutical grade supplements. These kind of supplements can only be bought through a doctors office, and sell the highest quality supplement on the market. Basically, with these supplements you truly know that you are getting what you pay for. I actually found one such place that sells some great stuff that has really helped my family out!

check them out if you want.

Source(s): www.benuts.com

Buyer Beware.

And the FDA has been caught in so many lies and corruption, such as Nutrasweet, so they can't be trusted to regulate the vitamin industry. Plus supplements RARELY and I mean RARELY kill people, but drugs do so regularly, as the class action lawsuits prove.

Individual companies should make info available to consumers, then consumers should be responsible for themselves. Much of what we have comes in from other coundtries that don't have our standards or regulations.

Personal responsibility.

Source(s): v

the consumer is held responsible for knowing what he should or should not put in his body. Imagine, being held responsible for what you do...novel concept.

Source(s): RN