Should i join Air Force ROTC?

Im going to be a freshman in college this fall and im wondering if Air Force ROTC is right for me. Right now i plan on going to med school to become a surgeon, so i know the commitment would be very long. The pros to me are the opportunity the Air force has to offer. The ROTC instructor I talked to told me that my... show more Im going to be a freshman in college this fall and im wondering if Air Force ROTC is right for me. Right now i plan on going to med school to become a surgeon, so i know the commitment would be very long. The pros to me are the opportunity the Air force has to offer. The ROTC instructor I talked to told me that my freshman summer i could go and learn how to jump out of planes, or i could travel to a foreign country to immerse myself in the language and culture. These are amazing opportunities that most people would have the luxury of having. Another pro would be that they have college assistance. I would have much less debt if i went the Air Force way. The biggest con to me is the very long commitment. I have been told that if the air force pays for my undergrad and med school that my commitment would be close to 15 years which is a very long time. I don't really know what to do at the moment. Both sides have good and bad to them. Any help would be great, or if you just have more info about your or someone you know's experience with ROTC that would be awesome too.
10 answers 10