Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Should i join Air Force ROTC?

Im going to be a freshman in college this fall and im wondering if Air Force ROTC is right for me. Right now i plan on going to med school to become a surgeon, so i know the commitment would be very long. The pros to me are the opportunity the Air force has to offer. The ROTC instructor I talked to told me that my freshman summer i could go and learn how to jump out of planes, or i could travel to a foreign country to immerse myself in the language and culture. These are amazing opportunities that most people would have the luxury of having. Another pro would be that they have college assistance. I would have much less debt if i went the Air Force way. The biggest con to me is the very long commitment. I have been told that if the air force pays for my undergrad and med school that my commitment would be close to 15 years which is a very long time. I don't really know what to do at the moment. Both sides have good and bad to them. Any help would be great, or if you just have more info about your or someone you know's experience with ROTC that would be awesome too.

Favorite Answer

Ask yourself if you are willing to spend your whole life in the Air Force. It all depends on why you are doing ROTC.

Are you doing it simply for the money? Once your required years in the service are fulfilled, do you plan on dropping out? If so, I would tell you not to go into ROTC. It is too big of a commitment. Really the only reason you are considering ROTC is to be happy, but if a life in the Air Force won't make you happy, why do it?

On the other hand, if you truly want to be in the Air Force, and would not do ROTC simply for the money, by all means GO FOR IT! What's an extra five years tacked onto your agreement if you will truly love what you are doing?

If you choose not to do ROTC, remember one thing. Surgeons make a substantial amount of money. You won't need to worry about paying off your debt; the money will come. Many people pay off their debt in a reasonable amount of time, and so can you! Keep a positive attitude!

It really just comes down to what your heart is telling you. Corny, I know, but do the thing that will make you the most happy.

Well you could do AFROTC, and get a 2 or 3 year scholarship to pay for your undergraduate degree, then if you don't get into med school then go into the AF medical field when you graduate, or if you do just tell them that you want to pay for it yourself so your commitment won't be as long.

Yeah the person above me is right

Your committment is actually 7 or 8 years depending on which medical school you go to. Its a 1 year commitment for every year in school.

Try a semester you might like it or you might hate it. It counts as an elective so it won't hurt you to try it out.

Source(s): AFROTC instructor

Go ahead join. I have spent 27 eayrs in Air Force I do not regret any moment of it

• -

15 years is a long time kiddo. If you become a doctor you will long pay off your debt and be living the good life compared to being in the Air Force and being property for 15 years.

i did it and it was fun there uniforms are blue and u get to do a lot of things... u can learn about any type of plane u want and if u join the airforce u will get payed more then somone else at ur rank that didnt do it. if u got anymore questions just ask

sharpshooter7594@yahoo.com

Join

Source(s): Snoop Doggy Dogg
  • ?

If you're doing it for money and not to serve your country, don't become an officer. You don't sound like you're in it for service, especially since its Air Force and not a more militant branch

If you want to become a doctor. Go NROTC and become a Corpsman. Best medical experience you can possibly have. Looks great on any application.

go for its a good opportunity and it could save you lots of money just don't drop out.