Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Home-made soup recipe?

I can get any soup recipe I want, but I'd like to hear your favorite home made soup recipe, or at least an idea of what's in it. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

1/4 c Extra-virgin olive oil

1 lg Onion, coarsely chopped

2 Stalks celery, trimmed and

-coarsely chopped 2 Carrots, peeled and coarsely

-chopped 1 lb Savoy cabbage, shredded

Salt and pepper 2 c Shredded romaine or escarole

-letuce 1 lb Potatoes (3 small), peeled

-and cubed 3/4 lb Tomatoes (2 medium), peeled,

-seeded, and Coarsely chopped 1 qt Meat broth

1 c Peas

1/3 c Minced frewh parsley

2 Cloves garlic, minced

6 To 8 slices Italian bread,

-toasted Freshly grated Parmesan -cheese Heat the olive oil and cook the onion, celery and carrots until the vegetables are softened. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the cabbage is wilted. Add the lettuce, season, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes. Mix the parsley and garlic together and stir into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes. Place a piece of toasted Italian bread in each soup bowl. Ladle on the hot soup and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8. NOTES: This hearty vegetable soup will benefit from sitting. Do not cut the vegetables too small since the finished soup ahould have a chunky look.

I love soups and have more than a few favorites and they vary depending on who I'm making them for. But these are the top 2, I'd say.

The teens go crazy for my lentil soup which I developed from the old Progresso soup label for their lentil soup. They changed their recipe twice since then but the original ingredients make the best soup.

I saute chopped celery and celery tops and onions. Add a bay leaf, a big tablespoon of tomato paste, veg boullion, washed lentils, water, garlic powder and a frozen block of spinach or mustard greens or kale and cook. Sometimes I add carrots or cooked pasta.

My husband and brother love Tuscan sausage soup which mimics Olive Garden's soup. That is sauteeing sausage and garlic and onion, adding crushed hot pepper, chicken broth or other light broth and kale and chopped potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender and add in most of a can of evap milk. Sometimes, I add in white beans. sometimes I puree the beans to make a thicker broth. Sometimes, I skip the sausage and add a ton more garlic.

soups are so flexible that way--you can really change them around with whatever you have on hand or feel like that day!

quick and easy

chicken & salsa soup

1 3/4 c water

14 oz chigken broth

1/2 lb chicken breast uncooked, cur inti bite size pieces

1-2 tsp chili powder

11 oz corn

1 c tostitos salsa

3 c tortilla chips

2 oz shredded monterrey jack cheese with jalepeno peppers

combine water, broth, chicken and chili powder in saucepan. bring to boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes. add corn, simmer for 5 more minutes. stir in salsa. Heat through. laddle into bowls, top with chips and salsa.

I also like homemade vegetable, cheese, or potato soup

Source(s): smartspot.com

This one was my mothers creation and my son and I love making and eating it regularly . It's low calorie and healthy .

Chicken Zucchini Soup

1/2 of a chicken

1 lg. zucchini , shredded

1 lg onion

2 lg. potatoes

3 stalks celery w/leaves , chopped

2 carrots shredded

1 tsp. poultry seasoning

s&p

Garlic powder to taste

1/2 tsp. rosemary

parsley

2 hard boiled eggs , diced

In large pot cook chicken until can be removed from bones . Remove chicken to cool for deboning . Now add rest of ingredients except hard boiled eggs . When all vegetables are cooked add chicken and eggs to pot and stir till heated through and serve .

It's my homemade recipe now, but thanks to Sherry who posted it on allrecipes.com. I made a batch, and it is in my refrig as we speak.

It is Baked Potato Soup I on allrecipes.com, and it is so good and so decadent. It has bacon, milk, cheddar cheese, onion, and sour cream, and real baked potatoes. It is so rich. I made it for friends at New Years, they raved about it, and one told me she has made it since. I make it just like the recipe says, then at the end put some more cheese in it. Prep all the ingredients, and have them ready to dump in. Make a roue, stir in the milk, bring to an almost boil, dump in the other ingredients, stir, and serve with crackers or rolls.

To die for.

12 slices bacon

2/3 cup margarine

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

7 cups milk

4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 green onions, chopped

1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted

• luvly

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients

* 1 cup carrot, diced

* 1 cup celery

* 1 cup onion, diced

* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh diced garlic clove

* 1/8 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon pepper

* 2 tablespoons corn oil

* 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth

* 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced (optional)

* 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced

* 1 (1.25-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning, I use McCormicks

* 1 (10 count) package corn tortillas (broken or cut into small pieces)

* 12 ounces chicken meat, poached, diced

* 1 cup milk

* 12 ounces monterey jack cheese or Mexican blend cheese, shredded

* corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces

Directions

1.Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.

2.Add chicken broth and bring to boil.

3. Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.

4.Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.

5. Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.

6. Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.

7. Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.

8. If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.

9. Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.

10. Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth, mixing thoroughly into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.

11. You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.

(it tastes great without the chicken)

Fruits are sweeter and take less effort to organize, generally, so I tend to eat more fruits. Unless our company is talking caned, but still, you usually heat up the veggies, so another vote for fruit.

Vegetable beef soup

2 cans of mixed vegetables

Hamburger meat or beef roast

Five cups of v8 vegetable juice

I dump all the leftovers in add whatever else suits me and season it.

Baked Potato Soup

Makes 2 quarts or 6 servings

3 large baking potatoes, baked

1/2 cup finely diced celery

3/4 cup each: finely diced carrots and onion

1/3 cup finely diced green onion

1 t. each: white pepper, cracked black pepper, seasoned salt and minced garlic

4 ounce bacon, diced

2 T. olive oil

2 cup water

2 t. chicken-seasoned stock base

2 2/3 cup whipping cream

12 ounce(3 C.) grated Swiss cheese

1 1/2 ounce (3 T.) butter

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Peel baked potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch chunks; set aside. In large bowl, mix celery, carrots, onion, green onion, peppers, salt and garlic; set aside. Place bacon in a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until brown.

Reduce heat to medium-low and add oil. When hot, add vegetable mixture; sauté until vegetables are well-done. Add potato chunks and cook until dark brown. Add water, chicken base and cream; stir constantly 5 minutes. Fold in cheese until thoroughly blended.

Heat butter in saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour; cook, stirring, until flour is lightly browned to make a roux. Add roux to soup and stir until thoroughly blended. Reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

Cheesy Beer Soup

1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon butter

2-1/2 onion, slivered

2-1/2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

8-3/4 cups milk

3 1/2 pounds processed cheese, cubed (Velveeta)

5 cups beer

1-1/4 cups crumbled cooked bacon

Fry bacon 1st. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender and fragrant. Melt in the butter. Sprinkle the flour over onion and garlic, and stir until blended in. Gradually whisk in the milk so that no lumps form. Continue to stir while you cook until the liquid thickens, about 10 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beer. Melt the cheese in microwave. Remove soup from heat and add the melted cheese. Gently stir until soup is well blended. From this point on, don't heat soup on top of stove, as it scorches easily once the cheese is added. Reheat in microwave. Oh , I also season with pepper and California Style Garlic Salt with Parsley. Serve with green onions sprinkled on top.

I always made a big pot at a time, so I just guessed at the measurements. May need to thicken with more flour and milk mixed. Serve with French garlic bread, toasted on grill.

Cheddar Cheese Soup

Yields: 8 Servings

2 cup water

1/3 cup each, finely chopped: carrots and celery

1 cup finely chopped green onions

1/2 cup butter

1 medium-size white onion, chopped

1 cup all-purpose flour

4 cups milk

4 cups chicken broth

1 (15 ounces) jar pasteurized process cheese spread (such as Cheez Whiz)

salt and ground black pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Place water in soup pot over high heat. Add carrots, celery and green onions; bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes; set aside but do not drain.

Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat and add onion; sauté 1 minute, then add flour, blending well. In a large saucepan, bring milk and broth to a boil. Whisk broth mixture into flour mixture with a wire whisk. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne.

Stir in mustard and the cooked vegetables, including the water in which they were cooked. Bring to a boil and serve immediately.

Cream of Carrot Soup

1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced (about 7 or 8 medium to large)

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

2 teaspoons sugar

3 fresh sprigs thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 medium potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped

5 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup whipping cream

1/2 cup Maderia or sweet sherry

Salt and pepper to taste

Dash of cayenne pepper

Cook carrots with butter, sugar, thyme and potatoes in 4-quart pot over medium heat until carrots soften, about 10 minutes. Add stock and bring to simmer. Simmer soup until potatoes can be crushed with spoon, about 15 minutes.

Cool soup slightly. Working in small batches, transfer soup to blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Return mixture to soup pot and whisk in cream and wine. Add salt and peppers. Return to heat and bring back to simmer. Remove from heat. Makes 6 servings.

Source: Mimma's, 1307 E. Brady St. Milwaukee, WS.

Cream of Mushroom Soup

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter

1 pound sliced mushrooms

3 tablespoons flour

3 cups homemade duck stock (chicken stock may be substituted)

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon packed brown sugar

1 cup whipping cream

Melt butter in large, heavy pan. Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat about 4 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and blend in flour. Return pan to heat and add stock slowly, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in