Curious to know why demonic possession is so rare in the USA but in the religious Philippines it is rampant?

Given the country is vastly more religious it seems God would protect them from this scourge more. Perhaps even an equal distribution between the Philippines and the USA?

Philippines:

Roman Catholic 80.9%, Muslim 5%, Evangelical 2.8%, Iglesia ni Cristo 2.3%, Aglipayan 2%, other Christian 4.5%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.6%, none 0.1%

USA

Total Christians 76% (over past 18 years down 10.2% (good news is everywhere!) Atheists/religion none 15% (over past 18 years up 6.8%)

These numbers are from wiki articles using Demographics of Philippines and demographics of USA as search term. Probably valid as a rough estimate.

Once this question is posted I will post a link to a discussion of demonic possession from this website www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org.

Also a link to this article:

In the Philippines alone, 307 cases have been recorded and were proven to be demonic in nature.

Given this number, Fr. Jocis Syquia, director of the Office of Exorcism of the Archdiocese of Manila, stressed the importance of exorcism. As the Church’s blessing to protect its people from evil, he said that it is a ministry that must never be forgotten.

"[Exorcism is] when the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the evil one and be withdrawn from his dominion," he said in an interview on ANC’s "Talkback with Tina Palma."

Syquia said that exorcism is a tradition that was handed down from Christ to the Church. Back then, all Christians could exorcise in Jesus’ name. But as time went by and the influence of evil became more widespread, only bishops and a number of priests were given the authority to perform exorcisms

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/11/01/08/cont...

the scourge of possession in the Philippines

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/article...

why people get possessed. Here are the reasons given:

The principle is that out of the person targeted for attack and the attacking ghost, whoever is spiritually stronger, wins. If the ghost has more spiritual strength than the person to be attacked, then it can affect or possess the person at will.

If a person has a higher spiritual level, his defense against an attack is stronger as a result of:

His own spiritual strength

Higher protection that he receives from God.

I just established they are more religious than the people in the USA.......

Best Answer

We just call the possessed Republicans over here.

I believe in ghosts because I believe in god, universe, angels, soul etc. I think the spirit world is fundamental, the foundation. Then comes the mind and body. I have also had some experiences that I cannot explain with my own brain and that were very deep and life-changing. I have seen a ghost twice and felt it many times. I am not sure about demonic possessions because I never read about them, have no information and have never directly encountered them, although, I think schizophrenia, I think, has some similarities to "demonic possessions". Maybe it's how you call it, at some point, I believe in it.

The Catholic church has played a vital role in the Philippines. From culture to food to the way of life. Being vastly Catholic and Christian, you can just imagine how life works there. They even outlaw divorce!

But I don't believe in such things. So I'm no expert on possessions or things like that.

Maybe Filipinos call it what it TRULY is. Demon possession. Over here (in the US) They like to call it "Bi Polar disorder." Or "schizophrenia" or "multiple personality disorder."

The Bible mentions nothing of these things, only demon possession. If you ask me, the Phillipines has it right.

My nephew is engaged to a wonderful Christian woman from the Phillipines. They are truly God-fearing people.

Demon possession is not that rare in the U.S. The devil is just as happy to let people get hooked on various drugs to quiet them down here. He's not really that particular about how he ruins lives.

Perhaps it is because those in the Philippines are not as likely to label a person mentally ill. God bless.

The more it's believed in, the more "possession" is going to be believed to happen. If they are more religious, then there you go.

I've never heard of an atheist being possessed, or people of cultures who don't believe in it.

To the girl above...the Philippians are largely Catholic and love Jesus. (Filipino friend.)

Demonic possession is a big fad over there. Kind of like the jonas brothers here in the US.

Perhaps its because people in the Phillipines are not as likely to label someone mentally ill.

• IMHO... demonic possession is only prevalent in regions where that behavior is rewarded with attention.

Edit: Whoa... Bob nailed it!