Douglas asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY SUPPORT A HIGHER TAX ON GAS?

I mean, I understand that this would some how get people to drive more fuel efficent cars. BUT GUESS WHAT? Some of us cant afford to serious make a payment on a new car. Raising gas prices would put a massive strain on me. I would love to take public transportation, but guess what, no public transit. Doesnt this occur to anyone?

Good idea guys.

WALK TO WORK: 5 HOURS 2 HOURS FOR BIKE ONE WAY, HOPE IT DOESNT RAIN

CARPOOL, ANOTHER GREAT IDEA!!! IF YOU WORK 9-5 OTHERWISE IF YOU WORK RETAIL AND YOUR HOURS ARE CRAZY, GEE HOWS THAT GONNA WORK???

acid blonde, awesome to see someone with a brain

Favorite Answer

I have the same dilemma. I live 12 miles from my workplace. There is no public transportation during my work hours. If I rode a bike I would have to ride it at least 15-20 miles each way to avoid highways where they are not allowed. Walking? Give me a break. I wouldn't get home until 2-3 am. I think plenty of others.....I just need some accommodation for my work hours. My 4 year old automobile has less than 30,000 miles on it. I think I do just fine!

The government makes more money on a gallon of gas than the oil companies do. The government should be like all of the cars on the road. Every 3000 miles the oil needs to be changed. It's time America changes it's political oil. Get al of the stagnant used up crap out of the engine and America will run fine. Unfortunately, with the last election America left the shop a quart low.

It's all about getting more of your money. Think of it this way, when you are given a paycheck, state and federal taxes are taken out before you even get it. Next, when you buy things (like gas) you sales tax on those. Last of all, when you put that money in the bank and draw interest or buy something of value, you pay taxes on that at the end of the year. You are taxed 3 times for the money you make in one paycheck. Don't know about you, but I'm tired of being taxed for everything and then having so many federal regulations on what I can do with my own property. Federal Government has gotten WAY TOO BIG!

Why? I wouldn't care if it's a tax, a rip-off, a shortage, a scam, or whatever. Anything to kill the auto industry, reduce the paving of the earth, reduce dependency on fossil fuels, and change to world to the cleaner.

Higher gas prices equals more trains, trams, and subways built. Many have been saying this for years and years: get busy. The Japanese can advise you, you're way behind.

Yeah, it does, and thats why they will set a certain date, say 15 years in the future where older cars cannot be on the road. Alot of states already have restrictions on vehicles, so it will just be national. And you can't tell me that in 15 years you will still be driving the car you are in now. Because with the way cars are made now, it won't run in five, let alone 10 or 15.

some people say raising gas prices gives the government the opportunity to use that as tax just a way for them to make money

Because money is power, and politicians exist only to gain power. It has nothing to do with the environment at all....they just want to control you. It's no accident that Government makes more money from every gallon sold than the oil companies do. (Yet look at who everyone demonizes.)

Yes they love taxing and inflating to give money to the poor. Yet they fail to notice that rising taxes, higher gas, and inflating dollars hurt the poor the most.

yeah it sucks but some people support it because taxes help our government get more money and funding so that they can afford really nice houses and six cars and limos with a hot tub inside

that's politics

and it is extremely unfair

because liberals believe it is the governments job to modify your ACTIONS through taxation....

odd how few people saw a problem with it on tabacco

a few more on alcohol consumption

a few more saw a problem with it when they made the fast food companies change the oils they used...

a few more on gas...

see a problem here.. it is the old i said nothing when they came for my Jewish neighbor story all over again.. this time with other items... take small bites.. till you have control over everything.