If a teenage girl falls pregnant, gets an abortion but later in life has many babies, what’s wrong with that?

See, what this hypothetical girl did was to put off having a baby till she had gone on an overseas vacation, gone to university, had a few years experience in the work force and was in a stable relationship with a loving partner with whom she spent the rest of her life. If she had have had the baby when she was a teenager, she would not have gone overseas, she would not have gone to university, she would not have had work experience and she would not have met the man with whom she’d go on to spend the rest of her life. She would more than likely have been a single mother, a burden to society, her offspring would have been underachievers, the trailer trash she married would have been an alcoholic, gambling wife-beater…ok, I’m being a bit melodramatic here, but do you see my point? By taking advantage of the option of abortion, she was able to correct a mistake that would have affected her in a bad way for the rest of her life and she was able to save her baby-making for when she was more mentally and financially prepared for procreation. Do you see how abortion is better for society?

• raysny
    Best Answer

My mother just turned 17 when she had me. My father dropped out of the picture shortly after I was born.

I bounced around from family to family, basically an unwanted kid until I was school age and ended up with my grandparents, at least during school. It screwed up my childhood and most of my adult years. Things didn't go well for my mother either. As a dropout with a kid, her choices were extremely limited.

Putting off having children until they can be cared for financially and emotionally is a wise move. Don't count on your family always being there for you.

If this girl wanted an abortion it was her right to get one end of story.

My ideas on abortion can be summed up like this- If I were to find out I was pregnant say next week and unable to get an abortion I would shoot my brains out before I would have a child.

I am not mother material, I do not want to be a mother, I work against becoming a mother (pills and condoms every time), but if something goes wrong I will not have a child; With the way I've seen people try and adopt in the states I think kids put up for adoption generally have a pretty rough life, and I don't think I could hold a child that came out of me and give it away.

I'll avoid it at all costs but if necessary I would have an abortion in a heartbeat.

For those who are against it- Do you have an adopted child? Better yet do you have an adopted AIDs child? Who will take them with the mothers can no longer have abortions? And do you not remember the hell that came about last time abortion was against the law?

• Tracy

Yes teenagers shouldn't be having sex, but seriously it's not all the guys' fault. Girls want sex too. It takes two to tango and no it's not always just the guys fault and that the girls are stupid. Girls have the same questions as guys do and the same urges and hormones as guys do. So yeah its both parties faults not just the guy. Not to mention where are the parents? It's most of the time the parent's fault when a teenager gets pregnant. And in all truth your just being a rude little brat, that is to young to know about what it's really like to be a teen mother. So stop your whole little rant about teen mothers, and just don't have sex. You choose your life, but even you will make mistakes while growing up so stop judging people you don't know, and you don't have the right to make assumptions on other people's lives.

• Daver

There are no circumstances in which abortion can be considered the morally proper alternative.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches:

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.

God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes.

2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. "A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae," "by the very commission of the offense," and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

Prenatal diagnosis is morally licit, "if it respects the life and integrity of the embryo and the human fetus and is directed toward its safe guarding or healing as an individual. . . . It is gravely opposed to the moral law when this is done with the thought of possibly inducing an abortion, depending upon the results: a diagnosis must not be the equivalent of a death sentence."

• Lulu

Birth control and responsibility are waaaay better for society. The one point you miss, is how does the aborted baby feel about it? Is that one soul destroyed forever, never to experience life? Or does it have a second chance with another mother?

This is rationalization at its worse, dear. Society may be better off if I killed the child molester down the street, but that's not how we solve our problems.

I vote for birth control first, adoption second.

Otherwise, you are comparing an "overseas vacation" to the life of a child. People with children do attend college and find the right partner later in life. You are talking about simply making things "easier" on the girl; again, at the cost of a life.

Think about it.

You have many logic fallacies. Seriously, I agree with you on almost everything except this one. You've admitted yourself that you are being melodramatic. When does teenage motherhood equate trailer trash? I know some who had children in high school, managed to to attend college and work. They are not living in trailers and are happy with their children. It's what you do and your actions that decide what would happen, not a pregnancy.

Today, people see pregnancy as something that can be erased. A mistake, an inconvenience to be taken out. It shows bad attitude. Why didn't the teenage girl used protection? Why did she expect to have sex and not get pregnant? When everyone knows that sex could lead to babies. I'm tired of people expecting to have sex without any consequences. Every action has a consequence. I'm not saying she should not have sex but to know beforehand what could happen and to face up to reality.

Source(s): atheist
  • lilith

My Catholic friend growing up, caused herself miscarry (back in highschool).

I've recently heard from her (through internet commutations). She is now, in a stable relationship & has 2 children.

Edit:

The reason I mention her religion is because, her mother would never have allowed an abortion.

She went though the great length, of physically harming herself, because she felt she had no other way out.

I think this shows why abortions (right or wrong) should not be made illegal.

No safe alternative, will lead to tragedies.

• CTTM

"she was able to correct a mistake"

what if your parents decided that you were a mistake?

"Do you see how abortion is better for society?"

No, death is not better for society.

Abortion is murder plain and simple. Do you think that something that is inside you, that you made, which kicks you and has a beating heart is a mistake? No child is a mistake. I find it truly heart wrenching that somebody thinks that.

If a certain person I know (who is in college now and doing wonderfully,even after much abuse) had thought that four of her children were a mistake, I would have three less brothers. I can not imagine life without them.

May God bless and open your eyes!

So youre saying that having a child at a young age dooms a woman to a life of inconsquence?

Don't get me wrong, i believe abortion should stay legal, but your depiction of what that girl's life would be like if she kept her baby is insulting to say the least!

A burden to soicety? Her children underachievers? Wow, you seem to have a rather low opinion of single mothers.

I see your point. But there's no guarentee that she'd do those things after an abortion.

Well she still could have done all that stuff if she chose abstinence and responsibility. And didnt just let the guy flop his wang all over in her.

And the guy could have kept his tool of pleasure inside his pants.

Babies arent mistakes.

I see so many logical fallacies is what I see.

You are assuming her life would have been horrible and bad if she never aborted the kid...but you dont know that.

You are assuming that abortion led to her good when there is no proof of that.

cause it could also have happened that she had the kid raised a good child that became the first drt to find a cure for cancer and save millions of lives.

see it is all just assumptions.

i wonder how many millions of millions of slaughtered babies how many of them would have grown up to be drs and awesome future leaders or even the next president that would have actualy done a good job. or had actual charites that actually gave 100% of all to the starving masses or even found a solution for water problems in 3rd world countries

guess we will never know.