Confederate Flag: Heritage or Hate??? Opinions Please?

Please give your opinion on if the U.S. Confederate Flag is a symbol of hatred or a symbol of heritage and why.

I want to know why certain individuals in the South resent the Confederate flag.

• Russ
    Best Answer

First, understand that what is commonly called a "Confederate Flag" is no such thing. It is a Confederate battle jack, and never was a flag of the CSA.

Having had two great-grandfathers who fought for the Confederacy, I can assure you that I am not a hater.

My family is mostly from Georgia, and I now live in South Carolina, and I can assure you that the vast majority who get a tear in the eye when the see the battle jack are not haters.

Are you aware that there were blacks who fought for the Confederacy (admittedly few), and that there are black members of Sons of Confederate Veterans?

Racism and hatred are by no means rampant here in the South. They are by no means absent, but neither are they in other parts of the USA.

Including states which fought against the CSA.

So, my answer is overwhelmingly on the side of heritage.

If you want further material, you are welcome to email me.

Best regards,

Razz (Southern Gentleman, I hope)

The U.S. Confederate Flag represented a section of America that valued the inhumane and intolerable acts of cruelty against people who simply have different color skin.

Therefore, to this day... it is like a remembrance of what happened. A, visual reminder, if you would like.

Let's say some terrorists put up pictures of 9/11 onto a flag. And kept it hanging everywhere. Saying that, it's only up there because I have pride of where I'm from. It's ignorant and disrespectful.

So for many, it is a sign of disrespect to keep it hanging.

• Sakal

Both. Its represents a mentality on both levels but more racial hate. Its usage in some large portions of white america symbolizes heritage yet hatred for the Afro American race and their part of the civil war of the North and South which was without a doubt about slavery. The North wanted to send the slaves back to Africa and the South wanted to keep them as slaves. Just a few months ago, In Alabama, A flag was placed on the steps of an African methodist church. If the flag suppose to be about white heritage then why was it placed on their property unlawfully? It definitely wasn't some certain holiday of White supremacist pride holiday or parade nor decorations to help their church? Its Pure racial hate, IMHO!*

I find myself completely disagreeing with Razz, again...big surprise.

;-)

There is absolutely no reason to fly the d*mn thing except to stir up trouble. Setting aside the contentious issue (in the South) of why the war was "really" fought, the war ended well over 140 years ago -- enough is enough. I had blood relatives fighting on both sides of war but we wisely stop caring several generations ago.

For me, the truth that gives lie to the "heritage" issue is two fold: (1) the South (Georgia being exhibit #1) chose to hoist the flag anew as a battle flag of southern resistance during the civil rights movement and (2) the folks (again, down here in the South) who refuse to give an inch out of deference to feelings of black folk wear their other "colors" and "family values" just as loudly. See who they are and the truth shall set you free. Nobody else cares.

Since I am a southerner let me emphasize to you yankees that the vast majority of white southerns think the whole issue is stupid. Again, exhibit A -- Georgia. They ripped the ugly thing from their state flag with great howls of protest from a very vocal minority...who vowed to have their revenge at the ballot booth and instead had their *** handed to them on a silver platter.

Patriotic Americans should resent the confederate flag. After all, it stands literally for the opposite of the republic.

It's neither a symbol of hate or of heritage, but rather of a now extinct and conquered rebellious nation, nothing more. I don't get why people have it still, other than as a collector's item.

To Irrelevantly Relevant: You need to do some research on American history, the South (Confederate States of America) was not rebellious at all. The true rebels was the Federal Union government.

The Confederate States of America is rising again!!!! God bless.

heritage. it was the state flag of alot of states before the civel war. and more people should realize that there is nothen wroung with it.oh and by the way i am fromindiana and the last i looked the state is in the north.

heritage

but im still curious as to why its in this section

Uhm.. do your own homework mister/missus!! Lol

-S-

and this is an lgbt question, or your homework essay?

please give your opinion and why.