What is your take on CVT's (continually variable transmissions)?

I've heard that they restrict performance, create a lot of engine noise, and don't work smoothly all in the name of one or two extra miles per gallon. But I have yet to drive one...

So, for those that have driven them, what is your take on them? I ask because this could be the deal-breaker for me on a new Nissan Altima or Nissan Rogue.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Go for a drive! Most car enthusiasts do not like them based on the fact that they are mostly control freaks. Most of them like manual cars and if they can't drive a manual, they still like to feel the gears shift. My brother is a gear head and before he even learned how to drive manual, he had his hand on the shifter. These are the people that are reviewing these cars so you have to take that into consideration.

I own a 2009 Rogue SL AWD and I love it! It's the first car the I've owned and I was a little worried coming from an Acura MDX. I've gotten used to the fact that I don't have as much horsepower as the MDX and I actually like my car better.

I don't feel as though my performance is restricted, but that is hard to compare without driving a non-CVT Rogue. There is a little more engine noise (specifically at around 1500 rpm), but I've easily gotten used to it. The Jeeps with the CVT are absolutely terrible for engine noise and road noise. It is very smooth as you don't even feel the gears shifting.

I really have no complaint about the vehicle except for the ridiculous service schedule. The service schedule recommends servicing every 3 months. I took it in for the first service and I was charged $50 Canadian for a filter change, to check the fluid levels, and to add oil. Needless to say, I'll be looking elsewhere for the next one, which includes a tire rotation.

Also, I was able to get $4000 off MSRP and they threw in winter mats and a cargo liner. That was without any negotiation as it was difficult to locate the car that I wanted.