Survey -- Should the Washinton Monument & the Jefferson Memorial, but torn-down, since they were Slave Owners?

If it's good enough for Robert E. Lee, why not them ?

General Lee was opposed to the Civil War, but his Primary Duty in "those days" to Protect the Commonwealth of Virginia -- not "These United States.

Update:

...and, yet, why is so villified for this strictly because Southern Culture at the Time was Pro-Slavery ?

Update 2:

"Jeff S" --

Thank you for the correction, "resigned his commission in the US army to join the confederacy."

I was mistaken about that :)

Update 3:

I guess that I am going to extremes to make an analogy for the destruction of Lee's culture, here in VA.

But, I really (personl opinion) think that villifying anyone who fought for the South -- Is too easy -- using the issue of Slavery.

I guess that I believe that the succession(sp?) of the South was far more complex, than the issue human bondage.

Update 4:

...and Richard Nixon was President of the U.S. ??

What's your point ??

Update 5:

"Wake up! " -- Fair enough.

Thank you for your well thought-out answer :)

Update 6:

"warren v" -- Good answer !!

I agree that, " history is history and no one should re-write it to hide the truth or placate anyone."

It's the best way for "old enemies" (and new ones) to move forward IMO :)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Rboert E Lee was a better man than Jefferson, and nearly as good of one as Washington. The victors always rewrite history in their favor.

No they shouldn't, slavery ended in 1865, time to move on.

• 1 decade ago

Survey -- Should the Washington Monument & the Jefferson Memorial, but torn-down, since they were Slave Owners?

Why? Would you like to erase our history so we are bound to repeat it? Besides, the culture of the times was different then. Morality is relative and just because something is wrong today, it doesn't mean we have the right to judge our predecessors who were living by what was considered to be right at the time. Let say that at some point in the future, abortion is outlawed because scientists tell us that life begins at conception. Do you realize that if that happens, everyone who supported or had abortions in the past will be looked at as murderers? Would you want someone in the future to look back on you and judge you as evil because simply because their morality is different than ours? You have to understand that when Jefferson and Washington were alive, they did not have the knowledge that we have today. Many at that time believed blacks to not even be human. I am sure you have heard jokes made today about how blacks are apes, etc. Back in their days, things like were accepted as truths just because that is what the majority thought. There was no scientific evidence saying otherwise.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interesting question, also for s--ts and grins did you realize that slavery was conducted or allowed for 4 years under the Confederate flag but was condoned for over a hundred under the US flag.

Most people do not understand that at the start of the Civil War the State as opposed to the Country were considered more important, another interesting note is under the CSA constitution the buyiing and selling of slaves was banned.

Now to directly answer the question, history is history and no one should re-write it to hide the truth or placate anyone.

• 1 decade ago

No. Because Washing and Jefferson were PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES. And Robert E Lee was not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jeff S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No they shouldn't.

BTW-----Lee resigned his commission in the US army to join the confederacy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Should Martin Luther King have his doctorate revoked since he plagiarized his doctoral thesis?

Source(s): THE MARTIN LUTHER KING jr PLAGIARISM STORY (1993) by Theodore Pappas
  • No, if we did that libs would want to replace them with a statue of Tiller.

• 1 decade ago

No ...history is history....

• 1 decade ago

only if slaves built the monuments but they didn't.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.