Is it harmful for kids to commute to school for 1/2 hour 1 way?

Are there any studies that show that it is harmful (or not) for a child to commute to school in a personal vehicle for 1 hr total per day (1/2 hour 1 way) rather than 20 minutes total per day (10 minutes 1 way) Going through a custody dispute & they are basing it on me having to drive 1/2 hour one way to get my daughter to school & they live 10 minutes away & the 20 minutes extra per day in a car is harmful to her health.

Favorite Answer

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The other party must have nothing else on you.

Your attorney can counter with an expert that says the exact opposite. I learned a lot about positioning in court. Sounds like they think they can afford to come to court more often than you can. So they keep trumping things up and eventually if you cant afford to show up they win. Get real about what's important with your attorney and find an attorney who will cut out the crap---they are out there. I had two thoughts...the first was, does the child have a breathing disorder? like asthma? the second was that I used to drive my kids to school the long way ON PURPOSE... so there was less traffic and more time to chat. One on one time with your kids in the car can be very productive..... Good luck and God Bless.. keep in mind that even when you say something innocent the attnys often use it in a destructive way. They are there to WIN something. I learned they work for me and they do what I want. I thought they were there to give me advice...I quickly learned I better get my advice before I get there and be prepared for battle cause they just know how to fight...they dont much care who or how they do it. I am not bashing attneys I am just saying that it is confusing until you understand it.

No it's not harmful in any way. It take me about anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to take my daughter to school. Just depends on traffic, and that's normal in a big city. Kids ride the school bus that long.

Trying to claim that a 1/2 hour one way commute is bad for your kid's health is preposterous. They may as well be claiming that breathing is bad for the kid's health, too. I suppose if you want to use convoluted logic (the kind used by today's political parties) then you could say that the extra 20 minutes in a car in one direction creates more exhaust pollution--which then degrades the environment, ultimately having a negative impact on your child's health--then they could be right...but keeping it simple and straightforward robs their argument of any merit.

Sweet Mildred is my leader. Join me in her playpen.

No. 1/2 an hour one way? Good grief. Kids ride the school bus for longer than that all the time. That's the sorriest argument I ever heard. It isn't hurting her health! I don't know of any studies. It doesn't need to be studied..it's common sense!

I'd be so happy if my stepchildren's biomom lived only 1/2 an hour from their school. They live with us 55% of the time, and we live two blocks from their school. They live with her 45%, and she drives them 1 hour to school, and 1 hour home. They have a total of two hours of commute on days they live with her, it's AWFUL.

So I don't think 1/2 is harmful at all.

We lived in the country in a rural area.. I was on the bus for an hour one way (yes, that's two hours a day just riding the bus!!) It was an excellent opportunity to do homework. In your situation, it would be great homework time or time just talking to your children. I really don't think the judge will even entertain that point...

Surf teh Information Superhighway?

In the outback of Australia, the bus ride is two hours, one way.

• x2000

Heck, my bus rides to school took about 30 minutes or more. Pretty stupid thing to say.