Can you tell us of the root definition of the word "Zombie"?

Hint: All of you are wrong, Though I won't give any thumbs down. Please read the question again. "Root Definition" is very important. I'll betcha Wiki and others will have it wrong.

My Cite: Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and fable. If you have or find one please cite it as well.

hint: page 977 the last in the book.

• COA
    Favorite Answer

Caribbean French, and English Creole from Kimbundu -zumbi, ghost, departed spirit

Edit: congrats to serf (sorry...guess not)

Edit: I have found another source, not Brewer's, that may be correct. The following translates to mean the "undead" and so I will post it to see what you think. At least it's different. In the meantime I will try again to access Brewer's. (Every time I try my computer acts like a zombie!) Hmmm...I couldn't find zombie in Brewer's. Is the root definition Greek?

Greek: ζόμπι

http://www.yawiktionary.com/z/1148371971856.html#S...

Edit:

Well, this is my last shot at the question. Without the book I am unable to open to page 977. The zipper file is not opening. I think it is time to expand my library.

I notice no one else has added anything new, so I did some research. It could be way off, but here goes. I searched the Greek Lexicon and discovered the following:

Original word (I presume it to be Hebrew) = ζῷον Transliterated Word (Greek) = zōon

Translated word (English) = beast

The word is found in both the Old and New Testament and is used many times in Revelation. There is an apparent evil connotation to the word.

I am assuming the word has Mesopotamian roots, or maybe even Egyptian. This could explain how the word traveled to areas in Africa.

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/

Main Entry: zom·bie

Variant(s): also zom·bi \ˈzäm-bē\

Function: noun

Etymology: Louisiana Creole or Haitian Creole zonbi, of Bantu origin; akin to Kimbundu nzúmbe ghost

Date: circa 1871

1usually zombi a: the supernatural power that according to voodoo belief may enter into and reanimate a dead body b: a will-less and speechless human in the West Indies capable only of automatic movement who is held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated

2 a: a person held to resemble the so-called walking dead ; especially : automaton b: a person markedly strange in appearance or behavior

3: a mixed drink made of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice

Source(s): m-w
  • There are several possible etymologies of the word zombie. One possible origin is jumbie, the West Indian term for "ghost". Another is nzambi, the Kongo word meaning "spirit of a dead person."According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the word entered English circa 1871; it's derived from the Louisiana Creole or Haitian Creole zonbi, which in turn is of Bantu origin. A zonbi is a person who is believed to have died and been brought back to life without speech or free will. It is akin to the Kimbundu nzúmbe ghost

Source(s): The Internet

we've all heard of the Roman Legions, as used interior the militia context. This refers to a militia unit including hundreds of infantrymen. The time era legion as used in scripture and by ability of C.S.Lewis can no longer often be misconstrued right here. i think of the greater or less thousand years of widespread use, observed by ability of the two thousand years of positioned up-empire use could suffice to confirm the time era legion to imply on the least a dissimilar, and authentic a super style of persons, frequently prepared as a team of a few varieties. I defer to the above solutions for the right academic reference, with which i'm in contract (won't they be extremely joyful that I agree!!)

• Kevin7

I have heard it is a Taino Native American contribution to the Voodoo religion(most influencesare West African, and Roman Catholic, some Taino influences also), it may come from Zemi the name of a Taino fetished object