How can I be a stay at home mom?

My husband and I are very serious and determined for me to be a stay at home mom. My mother raised me and my 5 other siblings as a homemaker and my dad worked full time as a minister of a small church. We by no means had a lot of money but we werent poor either. His mother worked from home managing the apartments... show more My husband and I are very serious and determined for me to be a stay at home mom. My mother raised me and my 5 other siblings as a homemaker and my dad worked full time as a minister of a small church. We by no means had a lot of money but we werent poor either. His mother worked from home managing the apartments his family owns.

Here is our situation. He does not want me to work outside the home while we have a little one. We do not want to put our child in daycare. We do not want to leave our child with a baby sitter or family.

My husband works as a contractor as a security guard for a federal military installation. He has been doing this for 5 years now. He is former Air Force. He makes about $32,000 a year doing this. This is his only source of income. It's a steady job but he recently had back surgery (microdiscectomy) and is finding it painful to wear a ballistic vest, heavy gear, and stand for 9 hours a day. The elements where we live is pretty rough during the winter (cold sometimes freezing) and it's HOT and HUMID (95 degrees) during the summer. The hours are crap and he literally works from 3:45 am till 2:00 PM. He is/has been ready to find a new job/career.

I work full time for a computer training company. I am an office manager and make $30,000 a year. So far my income has really helped us. We do not struggle or stress about finances. We pay all of our bills and have been very blessed to have money left over each month. Since we were married in Febuary I have managed to put $2,000 in savings (which may not seem like much but it's helping and continuing to grow little by little). We are planning on me cont. to work until my due date when I will go on unpaid maternity leave and will not return to work. I continue to work now for the health benefits as my pregnancy was labeled pre existing on my husbands plan.

My husband is currently checking into going back ti school and becoming a physical therapy assistant which would pay about $42,000 a year. He has a little less than a a year of classes and he would be done. The job would offer much better benefits and and better working hours. He is eligible for the GI BILL which would pay for ALL of his school and books as well as about an extra $1,000 a month. He will need to also work (to make the rest of our bills, groceries, gas, baby stuff, etc.) I just worry about how THIS is going to work with me staying at home. His parents do own apartments (they are LOADED) and I think he is going to see if they can in any way help. He feels like the security work is a trap and he needs to be doing something more stable to provide for our family. I think the school idea is great and the GI Bill is at an all time great offer.

I would like to learn to do something from home to bring in extra income. What can I do? I've thought of learning soy candle making and selling candles. What about possible childcare from my home? We live in a VERY nice house. I am not opposed to either of those options.

Is there any other ideas/options you all can throw my way? Opinions/ Etc. are greatly appreciated. I will choose a best answer. Im just looking for direction..

Help and THANKS!!!
Update: I am 18 weeks pregnant due on Halloween!