`✪~
Lv 5
`✪~ asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

What reason do you suspect for the missing Air France Flight 447, an Airbus A330?

The endurance limit has undoubtedly reached by now & so the aircraft is no more under a flight.

Peace!

Update:

Why wont the ELT respond? Don't they work under water? Aren't they shock/water sensing devices?

Update 2:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

According to me, the Flight 447 must have passed near a severe thunderstorm (CB) & a lightening strike had caused the electrical failure (Un-operational Radio sets & Weather Radar) causing the pilots to go off-route from the actual flight pats shown on the navigation indicators. They flew through the center of thunderstorm then .. & intercepted the most severe part of a cumulonimbus cloud where in an aircraft is stressed with a huge vertical pressure with structural damage due to icing conditions & hail's. The microburst must have then happened leading to a complete loss of flight control & a spontaneous loss of height due to down drafts as much as 300 km/hr into the Atlantic ocean. The pilot was not left with time to report the situation & the ELT failed to respond.

A Brazilian navy helicopter retrieved the first pieces of wreckage from the Air France A330-200 that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean Sunday night about 400 mi.

Update 3:

The storm system stretched more than 400 km. An A330 captain who spoke to ATWOnline suggested the pilots probably were trying to maneuver through it but underestimated or missed a critical cell in the flight path. Another factor, according to the A330 captain, is that the doomed aircraft likely was close to its maximum altitude for its weight. If it hit a massive updraft measuring 160 km. per hr., it may have been pushed above its ceiling and beyond its safe flight envelope, resulting in a series of control problems for the pilots.

What is known is that 5 min. after entering the supercell, the A330's aircraft communications addressing and reporting system automatically transmitted data link "failure" messages via satellite. The first system to fail was the autopilot, at which point the aircraft went into "alternate law" flight control mode.

Update 4:

That occurs only when there have been multiple failures of redundant systems and means the pilots no longer had computerized flight mode protection for roll and pitch.

The air data and inertial reference unit was next to fail at 11:11 p.m., followed seconds later by the integrated standby instruments system, indicating major electrical failure. The primary flight computer stopped working at 11:13 p.m.. The last transmission, at 11:14 p.m., was a "cabin vertical speed" warning, which could indicate either a sharp ascent or descent.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I use to fly that route (as a passenger) twice a year for the last 10 years. In former times with Air France as it in the past had direct flights from Paris to Buenos Aires (not any more). Now I fly with Lufthansa, which has direct flights to the places where I want to go.

The Bermudas Triangle is very far from the route of this Flight 447. Actually on the other side of the Ecuator.

However, in 99% of my experiences with the Paris-Rio de Janeiro/Sao Paulo route there were horrible turbulences starting at the point where the flight approaches Recife's area (north of Brasil in direction to Atlantic"s Ocean). Storm can last from 2 to 4 hours. My feeling was always that the geographic point where these storm starts is very precise.

I have been flying around the world for many years and only in other few places have experimented turbulences like in that South Atlantic's area.

For me what happened to Flight 447 looks like lightning but am not an expert.

Source(s): own experience as passenger
  • 1 decade ago

Most probable cause at this time is because of lightning. Weather reports show that there was a tropical depression in this area which covered a wide area, and the reason the location was not precise is because there were no radar contact at this position. It is seen to be very unlikely, almost improbable that such advanced aircraft would go down with a strike of lightning. It looks to be a sudden catastrophe since the crew did not declare an emergency. The ELT usually puts out a radio distress signal at 406 MHz upon impact. It does not give the exact location but will direct you to the site. But it might as well be that the ELT is damaged.

• Tara
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

No. There was an electrical problem, but there is no way of knowing yet if the electrical failure was a cause or consequence of the explosion. When an airplane exploded, the electrical systems are usually damaged. New Boeings (757, 767, and the newer 737) have security records that are as good as those of Airbus. Older Boeings and McDouglas have scary statistics. Both have had crashes due to pilot error and both have had crashes due to airplane failure. Boeing's CEO is probably more concerned about the global recession.

• 1 decade ago

On my point of view what happened was a sudden impact in mid air, as nobody had a chance to communicate with air controllers. When that aircraft hit the water it was in peaces and scattered miles a part.

Two years ago, in the jungle of Brazil, Mato Grosso, something similar happened with a private jet and a passenger aircraft from Gol Transportes Aereos that collided resulting the death of 154 people. The small private jet suffer only mechanical damage and nobody in the airplane was hurt

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Chris
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

at a guess the most logical reason would be a lighting strike, as the planes systems sent a message reporting an electrical fault while going through bad weather, you can get a type of lighting called 'sprites' that occur above the clouds, and have been suspected of downing planes in the past. i cant think of any other way a plane would stop just slip of radar like that, or stop squawking (sending of signals) i hope that the worst hasn't happened but im having a difficult time seeing that there could be any other outcome at the moment

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its very very unlikely these people will be found alive. The impact the aircraft would of suffered would of possibly instantly killed them as the plane exploded at some point. If they survived that they would most likely of drowned or frozen to death as the atlantic is the coldest ocean. I hope they're alive but its almost impossible that they are i hope they find them soon

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's really hard to say, though I think anything is possible at 35,000 ft in the sky. Maybe lightening and then an on board fire which broke up the plane and sent them plunging in the ocean. Other then that, I have no idea but how truly tragic.

• 1 decade ago

ELT's certainly can get damaged in a crash, and can fail to activate. This is a common problem with ELT's. They will find the Airbus through use of radar services and flight following however. Lets pray for the passangers and crew.

• This is really sad. I hope every 228 passengers are still found alive. Some thought that the lightening struck the plane. Some people saw fire on the ocean, thinking it was the plane, They found some missing pieces thinking it was from the plane.

• 1 decade ago

Well the media is reporting an electrical fault possibly due to the thunderstorms in the area being able to reach a much higher altitude than normal.

I personally hope that they had a controlled crash landing and are now floating about on the evacuation ramp just waiting to be located.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.