Is it right for me to try to convince people to become vegan/vegetarian?

When I hear about the things that happen in factory farms and what animals go through.... I just can't stand the thought of eating meat and I want it all to stop... I want to try and convince people to become vegan or vegetarian but I don't want to be too preachy and they have thier own rights I guess... I don't want to force my beliefs onto other people but I can't just let this happen :( ! Is it right for me to try to convince people? Does anyone have any ideas on how I could promote it?

Best Answer

I agree with Nicole and would give similar advice. See, I grew up eating meat and I like to eat meat, it's good if prepared correctly. People have been eating meat since the beginning of time and it's not likely to change anytime soon. My in laws are all vegans and I actually like some of the stuff they call meat (soy protein) but others of it you couldn't pay me to try again. We are all different and you are certainly welcome to do as you please. I guess fishermen will have to stop fishing (the hook is torture), hunters stop hunting (some require two shots) and so on if vegan was the word.

If your concerns are for the animals at the factory farms and you know you can't convince everyone to become vegan then why not try to change the conditions of the animal farms and what takes place there. I would think that easier than convincing someone like me who likes meat to become vegan (it will never happen for me).

Take care and good luck in your quest.

You can express your beliefs and such to people but make sure you have the actual facts to back you up. If the person is not interested however do not judge them, everyone has the right to believe in what they want.

Just ask people if they would like to take some time to learn about veganism {is that even a word..lol} or becoming a vegetarian.

I would just let everyone know that you are a vegan and leave it at that. If that person is interested they will approach you about. You can bring it up but if the person isn't interested then don't take it any further. Also you don't have to make it about being vegan, maybe just getting them to eat free range animals. Not everyone is going to be a vegan, but everyone can do something to help animals.

No, would you like others to force their beliefs upon you?

I think you should learn as much as you can about the health benefits associated with veganism/vegetarianism. When vegetables and healthy living are broached you can talk intelligently about the subject you love but don't tell people what to do, just tell them about the benefits. You should also befriend people whose mind sets are like your own, then you can discuss this topic in detail and at length.

- Pepper.

• julz

You should not convince people to be veg/vegan. We all have the same information available that you have seen and are capable of making our own decisions, same as you have. I could cite articles that discuss nutrients that are only present in meat and try to force you to be a carnivore, but I have more class than to do somethine so sanctimonious, not to mention annoying.

I don't think tying to convince people to become vegan/vegetarian will make you too popular. People get annoyed with others forcing religious beliefs on them so why wouldn't they get annoyed with someone telling them what to eat.

Yes, it is your right to try to convince others to go vegan. However, it would be wrong of you to push it onto them if they are not interested. Bring it up to people, but don't be pushy. Some people aren't into it, so you also need to accept that. You can't save the world all by yourself, but you can definitely do your part by trying, right?

• Aggie

Forcing your dietary habits on someone is like forcing your religion. You have a right to your beliefs, but so do others.

You could try, but most of us will never change.

why not? im a vegetarian