promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How often do you weed your garden?

How often to do weed your garden? It seems like i'm ALWAYS weeding the garden - yet every time I go outside, more weeds! lol Is there a trick to keeping weeds out of your garden?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I try to get a few weeds every time that I am out in the garden. A bit here and there keeps me from getting too far behind. I have a rather large garden and if I wait to do it every week or so it gets to be way too much work. Planting through black plastic membrane does work and has the added advantage of keeping the soil warmer later in the year and warming the soil earlier in the year thereby extending your season. Also, I use wood chips around all of my asparagus, and viney plants (zucchini, squash, pumpkin, cucumber, etc.) this keeps the moisture in the ground longer and helps control the weeds. We also try to leave enough room in our garden to rototill between rows periodically, if the rows are too narrow to do that simply hoeing or scratching it up with several other types of garden instruments out there on the market will help keep your soil loose and will help control weed growth between rows. I also agree that if you don't mind getting a bit dirtier it is much easier to weed after watering or after a nice passing rain shower.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I usually have to do it every two weeks. A problem could be that when you pull up the weeds you shake the seeds to the ground, which defeats the purpose of weeding. EG a dandelion - if the fluff blows away, the seeds will germinate and grow in your garden.

Be more careful when yu ar weeding and make sure you get the roots of the plant too.

Alternatively try a natural weed killer like ESutras Botanicals it's expensive but 100% natural so it doesnt damage you lawn, in fact it helps it grow.

Hope this helps

• 1 decade ago

The best trick is to use a very sharp hoe and just skim the surface, cutting the stems of the weeds. Pulling up the roots just disturbs the soil and exposes buried weed seeds-which then germinate and grow more weeds. So skim off the weed tops, water well, and then put down a layer of mulch to smother any new growth. You can mulch with shredded paper, straw, thick layers of grass clippings, just about any biodegradable material.

• 1 decade ago

If you're growing any type of plant, summer or winter squash, cucumbers, watermelon or cantaloupe, you can plant them under black plastic. We put the plastic down, anchor it with wires all the way around the edges (about every 2') to keep it from blowing, then cut holes in it to place the seeds or plants (3' apart for tomatoes squash, cucumbers or cantaloupe, 1' between peppers, eggplant, and cabbage), and hold the plastic down at each plant with wires (we take about 6-7" lengths and bend them into the shape of a long staple). It not only keeps out weeds, but it also holds in moisture and heat. Make sure your holes are big enough (about 3-4") that the seeds don't start growing under the plastic, though.

Source(s): Have about a 50' x 50' area planted under black plastic with most of these so far.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LucySD
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Save your strength for the harvest and try these 2 things or use it in the flower beds.

#1 try using Preen

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/77-488-gr...

#2.How to Use Black Plastic Mulch when Transplanting

http://www.ehow.com/how_4423025_use-black-plastic-...

I get mine at walmart and it is perforated with tiny holes to allow water to the plants. The solid black plastic doesn't allow enough moisture or water to penetrate the ground.

Definition of perforated

having a number or series of holes

http://store.colemans.com/cart/mulch-film-5-rolls-...

Source(s): above link myself
  • 1 decade ago

i weed when i water. after you water the ground is softer and the weeds come up easier.

i might not always be as thorough but i always try to pull some amount of weeds when i water.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

my wife is considering put down black membrane, to see if that

cuts down on the weeding, and plant through a slit in membrane

she trying it to see if works

Source(s): trial and error by wife
  • 4 years ago

Really interesting question, looking forward to going through the answers

• 4 years ago

I don't believe that to be correct

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

that is arguable and there are actually several possible answers to this question..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.