Dog Section: Shelter using designer dog names?

We went to the local shelter this past weekend to visit the dogs and the cats. They received a b*tch and her litter of pups a couple of weeks ago - and they've fully weaned them and they'll all be ready to go in a few weeks. [I happened to minorly fall in adoration with the lightest-coloured of the... show more We went to the local shelter this past weekend to visit the dogs and the cats.
They received a b*tch and her litter of pups a couple of weeks ago - and they've fully weaned them and they'll all be ready to go in a few weeks.
[I happened to minorly fall in adoration with the lightest-coloured of the litter. Took ten minutes to leave her and be on my way! Oh the cuteness.]

So on the farthest end of the rows there were two dogs in side-by-side cages.
Starsky and Hutch.
Owner surrenders, with their tags and everything [uncommon in this area. Owner surrenders, at least].

Their paperwork stated their breed as "Puggle".
I did have a small "wish" to speak with the shelter about that; but I decided it most likely would not end well [and I wasn't in the best of moods anyway].

Question:

Do you think it's "right" for shelters to put the designer dog name on the paperwork - rather than one of the breeds, and "mix", or one of the dog breeds x other dog breed.
Thoughts?
Update: DJL - It's privately run.
Update 2: Nikki -- I would agree with your statement, other than the fact there are are hundreds more breeds of dogs out there that *aren't* registrable with AKC.
Update 3: DJL - They didn't raise the fee, actually. They never raise fees regardless of breed, age, or size. Altered and unaltered; they do change cost, of course.
Update 4: Nancy - Because I'm smart enough to know when I can and can't take care of more dogs than I already have. I really don't see why I should adopt a dog simply because other people shouldn't "go through the hassle of housebreaking"... Ignorant, to say the least. And I do, in fact, help out... show more Nancy - Because I'm smart enough to know when I can and can't take care of more dogs than I already have. I really don't see why I should adopt a dog simply because other people shouldn't "go through the hassle of housebreaking"... Ignorant, to say the least.
And I do, in fact, help out at the shelter. They call me up when they need help; and I go down as soon as I'm able. Next time, stick your thumb in your mouth and call Momma over for feeding time, hun.
Rude children now-a-days. *eye roll*.

Dutchman - Good to have you back! Thanks!