Poll for ladies on views on mensturation?

I am taking a course in Horror Film and one of the concepts we'd came across is the Monstrous Feminine----which is the idea that the female form inspires abjection. Abjection means "exclusion of the abject", and the abject is usually anything that threatens the concept of self----such as corpses, since they remind us of our own mortality----and things that are expelled from the self like menstural blood, urine, feces, vomit, etc.

Bleeding (mainly in the form of mensturation), then, is a key thing that makes women "monstrous". Consider the scene from "The Exorcist" where Regan was violently stabbing her vagina with a crucifix, bleeding and being possessed by evil. Also consider the film "Carrie". After Carrie's first period her telekinetic abilities strengthened, setting the stage for Carrie's monstrousity. Later in the film, Carrie's monstrousity fully erupted after she was drenched in pig's blood----killing everyone and destroying everything with her telekinetic abilities. In both movies, blood/bleeding serves as a key metaphor for the Monstrous Feminine.

So, ladies, what on your views on mensturation? Do you just see it as a normal physio function or do you attach meanings to it like these film theorists do? Do you agree with these film theorists? What does mensturation mean to you?

Thanks very much!

I know the the concept of Monstrous Feminine is probably misogynist and I assure you, I am by no means attacking women here and I have no any ill feelings against women (I LOVE women), I am just asking a question. As a matter of fact, the Monstrous Feminine, as misogynist as it sounds, actually came from feminist film scholarship (Julia Kristeva and Barbara Creed), and the concept was used to ask why patriarchy was established and against women.

Interesting points and observations, everyone! :D Thank you to you all! I am giving everyone a thumbs-up! :)

Favorite Answer

"I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that there's a course for Horror Films. You're actually paying money for that?"

! I'd definitely pay money for a course in horror movies.

I'm not sure I agree with the theory.

First of all, in 'The Exorcist', the fact that she stabbed herself in the vagina (and bled - which you'd expect if you stabbed yourself anywhere) was not significant to her Getting possessed, but only reflects that she Was possessed. I believe it represents her loss of innocence - stabbing herself in the first place shows abnormality, but being penetrated by anything there is something society thinks is only acceptable adults, not children. Also, using the crucifix to do so shows the huge turn against the Church (obviously because of the possession), which we wouldn't expect in someone so "young and innocent".

In 'Carrie', evidently it's true that the film begins with her showering and her period starting, but we couldn't know for sure whether or not that's a coincidence relating to when her powers begin to grow. It could again represent that she's become an adult now (backing this theory - her breasts are also mentioned by her mother in a way which suggests they've never been spoken about, and have in fact always been covered because they're 'shameful' before now) , or at least lost her childhood innocence (people were thought of as grown ups at a much younger age in the 1970's, right? - when the original film was made). Or it could have been made to show the difference between the shy, frightened, unknowing, bullied Carrie at the beginning of the film (she's shown to not know what a period is - she is terrified, and in a panic looks to the other girls for help, only to be laughed at and humiliated, ending up on the floor) and the p*ssed off, revengeful, stronger and braver Carrie at the end of it. As for when she kills everyone after being drenched in pig's blood. Well...they drenched her in pig's blood! And they did it not only in front of her year, but on a night when she was finally looked on in a more positive light until that moment, and she also seemed happier than she probably ever had been. If I'd always been treated the way they treat her, and I learnt more about the powers I have (she reads part of a book about it - reading about it makes her confident enough to defend herself against her horrible mother; it shows her she's not evil like her mother makes her out to be because of her powers, and not alone in the abilities she has), and then the people who'd been treating me horribly for so long got pig's blood poured over me in front of a crowd (or at all), heck, I think I'd kill them all too.

For me, my period's just 'whatever'. Yeah, it's gross, and it can hurt and be uncomfortable, but it's simply the way our bodies function. The mood swings aren't great.

Related, I believe a few cases exist of women getting away with a crime because they were on their period at the time they committed it? Maybe the character of 'Carrie' had a mood swing because of the crazy hormone stuff going on during her period, causing her to be angrier and - in the anger - be more confident in (to put it nicely) standing up for herself, but her period isn't meant to last the whole film (and therefore she wouldn't be on at the height of her anger and power - at the end). Also, she still seems to be...sweet. Even if the events in the film do take place over a few days (and so when she's still on her period), I believe her powers are stronger based on the emotion she feels, and so, again, might be produced more when on her period because of the mood swings, but wouldn't actually be due to menstruating.

(Besides, all she did was set the place on fire by the electrics going - I mean, it's not as if she took a knife and stabbed everyone - and kill the two nasty people in the car by making the car swerve and tip over, but they were about to deliberately run her over anyway. And killed her mother...but that was pretty much a given.)

• Neo

I don't know but to me periods aren't a big deal. I mean, ya it's a little blood once a month but that's as far at goes. People always say that women go aboslutely crazy when it's their time of the month but I've never noticed that. Neither me nor any of my girl friends ever act any differently while on it. I don't understand why some people think it's like the plague.

Sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that there's a course for Horror Films. You're actually paying money for that?

Anyway, I don't view my period as anything but a natural function of my body, much like urinating or defecating or coughing or sneezing. It may produce an unpleasant by-product that needs disposed of, but it's still just a natural body function, not some profound metaphysical thing.

I don't care about it, I don't bleed much so it's usually not a big deal for me. I leave a bloody mess in the bathroom for Johno to clean up with his tongue but that's just one of the good things about it.

I'm sure lots of women love the sight of their blood as it means they're not pregnant and that night of heavy drinking that they can't remember isn't going to cost them an abortion they can barely afford.

• Menstruation is quite irritating for me to be honest but I don't think I can live without it because it makes me normal.

Anyway, those film theorists might use menstruation or some sort of allusion to indicate change. After menstruation, all the old stuff comes out and new eggs get released, so a new cycle starts.

You get what I mean?

my period doesnt mean much to me other than a slight inconvenience every month and the fact that it will allow me to have kids in the future if i want. I really dont think of it metaphorically like that but its an interesting concept

That's a really interesting concept.

I do not mind my period much. I am not disgusted by the blood. However, they're quite painful for me and cause me a lot of discomfort, so for that reason I wouldn't complain if I stopped having them.

• Menstruation means I get to ask my monthly period questions on Answers. It's a very exciting time for me!

Wha hey - thats a good one to get the disco going - my laptop is moving, cos my foot has started to tap :)

Uh, it's a normal function. All of the examples you gave were from movies, which were written to entertain.